another SVCD test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another SVCD test

After the release of the latest bbMPEG I made two new SVCDs. One used VBR, the other CBR. They were authored in I-author and tested on a Pioneer 525.

The VBR disc had lots of problems. The video had considerable artifacting and stuttering. The audio had a highly processed sound, almost like a flang filter. Also the audio and video were not in sync. The good news was that it took up the full width of the screen.

The CBR disc on the other hand looked much better. No stuttering and only minor artifacting in scenes with a lot of motion. The audio was clean. However it was not in sync with the video.

Other notes: the encoding time for the VBR was 4x that of the CBR. bbMPEG is no speed demon as it is so that really can chew up CPU time.

I may have set the VBR settings incorrectly, but I don't believe there's a way to cap the bitrate or target an average bitrate with bbMPEG's VBR encoding. As a result it reported that the AVERAGE bitrate was something like 7mbit/s and even peaked at something ludicrous like 13mbit/s. For comparison, the CBR fit easily within the target 2.6mbit/s.

I still have yet to try LSX 3, mainly because of the interlacing issue. Is there a way to use LSX as a Premiere plugin to get around this issue?

BrianP: It sounds like the VBR disc had a quant value that was WAY too low. I think your player was not able to keep up with bitrates that high. With luck my Apex should arrive today so I can start doing my own tests. With even more luck we may have a few "recommended" settings in a few more days.

Comment

Working...
    X