X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost in the XP machine

Okay I'm a little scared

Can you guys explain this?

My wonderful XP machine thats being grumpy lately. No internet connection and I don't own any police cd's neither have I borrowed any.
    I've been playing CD's all evening and suddenly windows media decides I'm playing the polices greatest hits according to it's playlist.
    Where has it got the listing from? How does it know police records

Whats going on Dave ??
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Dave's not here
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
      Dave's not here
      think he calls his pc Dave!

Comment

I think you completely missed a 2001 reference. If anything, the computer would be called HAL.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Are you sure that wasn't a Cheech and Chong reference?

(yes it's a 2k1 reference but I felt like posting that anyway)
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Don't you just love it when M$ charges you to be part of a public beta?

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

talking about ghosts, I connected an USB keyboard to my linux server with i440ex chipset and BIOS from '98... I enabled OS USB Keyboard - Enabled, so that I could change bios settings and manually enter commands at the lilo command line, but somehow the BIOS wasn't 100% compatible with my USB HID...

as soon as I entered the BIOS, it froze... if I didn't enter the BIOS, but tried to boot, it would say 'verifying DPMI Data Pool..... and Building DPMI Data Pool....' and freeze as well

After I disabled USB Keyboard support it worked fine again, but I have to go through some trouble whenever I need to change a BIOS setting :/

took me a frigging hour to find out what on earth was going on (I changed several other hardware related stuff as well, so when it showed up it could have had several possible causes).

Comment

Why am I called Hal Dave?
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Maybe the CD has CD-Xtra info or something on it?

"I'm afraid I can't let you play that, Dave"

T.
                  FT.

Comment

Windows Media player has the capability to read CD-text. If the Police's Greatest Garbage CD has CD-Text on it, WMP can read it to make the playlist.

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes but the Cd hasn't got any info about the police and I haven't got any police cd's so where has it got the info from.

Dave I want you play Police CD's Dave.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

maybe it downloaded tracklisting from cddb... sometimes when I pop in a CD and winamp tries to get the track listing, I get several possibilities, sometimes of completely different audiocds than the one I put in the drive

Comment

Just make sure you don't try to do simple stuff, like <A HREF="http://zappadoodle.com">use printf</A> in XP.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think all XP boxes are possesed. This Laptop always brings up the Office 2000 Premium installer everytime I press 'Windows key' +F to do a search (why did MS change Find to Search, and not change the hot key?).

This computer has never had office 2000 on it, as I spent far too much on office 97, and only ever use about 2% of what thats capable of, so dont see any need to give Billy G more $$ so I can use 1% of the next version.

Strange things eh?

Ali

Comment

How did download a playlist when it wasn't connected to the internet??
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X