No announcement yet.

MSI Clawhammer Motherboard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most topics change heading once or twice....

New Motherbord, Clawhammer CPU, Parhelia.....

I'l have to sell one of my kidneys.....
    Last edited by Technoid; 2 June 2002, 11:43.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

they will never stop it gurm. first of all that cheapo AC97 costs them 1$ or less to put on the board. furthermore thats exactly what OEMs want.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

MP3's can sound good if you encode them properly, at 256bit then it sounds fine. Most of the crap you get from kazaa is so badly recorded. I make my own MP3's that way I know the quality is nothing but the best.

If your happy with what you've got than that's good. But once you hear a good sound card on a good amp you'll never go back to cheap sound equipement! That's my opinion.

To stay on topic: I can't wait to see the clawhammer in action. From 32bit to 64bit? Anybody really know if it'll be much better?
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

I'l have to sell one of my kidneys.....
          just one? i'm selling both

the only problem that i have with AMD right now is that the dual clawhammer boards/systems are gonna be expensive now that they have been branded as Opterons... its a shame because i was hoping to pick those puppies up and combine it with a parhelia and have a mmm-mmm good system for the next few years.

edit: about the jump from 32 to 64bits - that jump, in itself, does not make a difference to consumer computing. the major advantages of a 64bit architecture is higher precision, larger memory access capabilities, and the ability to generally work on larger chunks of data at once. the major advantages of the Hammer cores come from the fact the memory controller is integrated into the core (rumored 20%+ performance gain from that), architectural improvements (rumored 5% performance gain), and the fact that the x86-64 has some nice additions (which does allow another performance boost, not sure on how much yet, i think it was rumored to be around 15%).

for a desktop chip though, the hammer processors are highly overengineered. the guy who was primarily responsible for the alpha architecture was in charge of hammer developement, and it shows. the integrated memory controller, along with HyperTransport links between chips, will allow for the hammer series of processors to scale well beyond dual and quad processor configurations quite easily. as AMD has pointed out, 8 way configurations will be available in time. the fact it uses a NUMA architecture will make this thing a very interesting server chip.

but, think about this for a moment. because of the fact each processor in a multiprocessor has a spare HT link to connect to IO devices, you could have a visual graphics system with 2 AGP ports on it, integrated scsi, integrated network, integrated everything but the kitchen sink, and still have a full 5 PCI slots on the board.
          Last edited by DGhost; 2 June 2002, 22:49.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
          X