No announcement yet.

Winamp 3 Final here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llama: This is for the some Netscape "send-this-bug-to-us"-Thingie, I think Have seen it all too often while using this Beta.

Thop: ICQ was bloatware before Agree it's gotten way worse though.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

> But I think (hope) things like this will get sorted out as
      > WA3 advances. This really was no final version - they should
      > just have called it beta 4. Hasn't changed all that much
      > from beta 3 anyway.

WA3 was released early because AOL:

- needs something to compete with the upcoming WMA9
      - is getting ready to launch <a href="http://download.com.com/3302-2354-10113906.html">Netscape 7</a>

> I predict winamp3 to go the way of icq -> bloatware

Must of been tough to predict that. :P
      Most programs turn into bloatware eventually unless they're
      <a href="http://www.radsoft.net/resources/rants/19990430,00.html" title="The Bloatware Debate">specifically</a> <a href="http://miranda-icq.sf.net/" title="Miranda ICQ: Smaller, Faster, Easier">designed</a> with speed in mind.

Comment

Hehe. Found another bug. Even with the type of internet connection set to "No Internet Connection Available", it still accesses the internet when inserting a new CD. It was stopped at the DNS query by ZOnealarm.

Comment

Turn off CDDB (gracenote) somewhere in the CD Audio configurification (as it was called in ß2 )

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I know. It's just that if you tell it there is no internet access, it should not even use cddb. I'm just being picky though.

Comment

I can care less about the video support as long as it stays in the background. The true beauty of WA3 is the new skin support! There are already a good handful of top-notch skins. (Chronabie and yaXay are my favs) Just give me my MAD support and I'm set.

Comment

I've been using build #482 and it's worked fine. Doubt I'll get a new build until much later on.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Really, TNT and Isochar? What skins have you two been using? HAve you been using any legacy skins? WHat about the "tinny" sound? Bloat? Tearing effect when moving even just the player around the screen. I have an Athlon 600 with 256MB of ram. If it can't keep from tearing with that hardare, it is using way too many processor cycles. I rember the original worked way back very well on regular pentium chips at 90mhz and above. My computer is 6.6+ timesas powerful with three times as much memory and has trouble doing the same thing (playing Mp3s) and maintaining the look of the player.

Comment

I think I'd be using my favorites. So far I'm just sticking to the official skins available at Winamp.com. It is a little more "bloated", consuming 26megs of RAM compared to WA2's 15megs. However, it does add a lot of new stuff that is warmly welcomed. Processor usage hovers at 1-2% for me, with alpha blending on.

Try disabling that and see if it fixes your problems. (It's the setting where they show two llamas)

Here's a screenshot of my current desktop:

Comment

I've tried the same skin isochar has on now and CornerAMP w/o alpha blending because I have Win98 and a Marvel G200. A couple of the skins over at www.deskmod.com hadn't been updated yet so those did cause problems, but some didn't. At this moment I'm using the base skin since I have it minimized or buried most the time.

A month ago I was still using my Celeron 466 system and it caused noticeable slowdowns, but no playback problems (older build though). On my new system it isn't slow at all, although system monitors show that it does use a lot of resources, but I feel the trade offs is fine for all the great features.

I've turned off all internet "features" although my computer isn't even hooked up to a phone line

I think a lot of problems are solved if you can get a build that works correctly on your system. I've followed W3 since they started releasing internal betas publically and it has always been hit or miss. Definite sign that the products IS NOT FINISHED, but I think overall Winamp3 is in the right direction for those that use the new features.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

just to add my .2 cents: still (better: again) using
                        DeliTracker (anyone remembers from the good old Amiga times?

Rakido
                        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Yeah, but DelitrackerII can't play back mp3s so it's not really in the equation. Besides its' sometimes a bit crash-prone here (might be my 68060 CPU and/or the Soundcard creating incompatibilites, either).
                          Last edited by Indiana; 13 August 2002, 14:04.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

MOD player? What? what era? oh yeah, MP3's...*laughs*

WA3 stunk, I really like Cool Player. Thanks GURM

The Chicken
                            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                              Yeah, but DelitrackerII can't play back mp3s so it's not really in the equation. Besides its' sometimes a bit crash-prone here (might be my 68060 CPU and/or the Soundcard creating incompatibilites, either).
                              Ah, sorry, was a misunderstanding, i meant the Windows version, not the Amiga one. The link goes to the Windows port (and this version can play mp3's )

Here are some of the features (seems especially the last one is important ;-) ):

Here are some of DeliPlayer's features:

supports Windows 9x, Windows Millennium, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP
                              full MP3 support
                              MP3 information (ID3) editor
                              MP+, Vorbis, TwinVQF support
                              ProTracker (MOD files)
                              FastTrackerII (XM files)
                              ScreamTracker (S3M files)
                              ImpulseTracker (IT files)
                              C64-SID support
                              plays DeliTracker Amiga custom modules
                              plays all Tracker formats and derivatives with high quality
                              plays over 190 formats
                              extremely powerful playlist
                              archive support (ZIP/RAR/LHA/LZX)
                              scaling, oversampling and interpolating mixer routines
                              10 band equalizer
                              click removal
                              dithering
                              reverb
                              wide stereo and stereo join
                              highly configurable
                              does NOT invade your privacy

Rakido
                              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Oh, I didn't know that there was a PC version. Have to try it.
                                (Still have lots of those old Soundtracker modules on my HD in the folder that's the emulated WinUAE harddrive)
                                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                                My System
                                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                                German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                                X