Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking fsb?

Hi!
    I'm trying to overclock my system just by rising the fsb. I've managed to get it stable at 145MHz. What can I do to go even higher?

I've raised the cpu voltage to 1.80V
    Last edited by woel; 28 November 2002, 14:58.
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Is my system spec showing in my signature?

Now it does.
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Raising vmem, vcore, and adding cooling are all steps that'll help you get higher....
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Okej thanx!

At what temerature (in celsius) does the cpu become unstable?

I guess memory timings has something to do with it to, doesn't it?
        AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
        Asus A8N-E
        Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
        Lian-Li PC60
        Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

That depends on how hard the cpu is pushed and it's unique peak operational limits.

Yes and no. While it does have a direct impact on OCing, with all the features offered by most MB's today one can normally just adjust the clock ratio to prevent the memory for being the limitation.

High QUALITY memory is a must when going to the extreme tho. Pass on the cheap generic stuff and buy the fastest you can afford. These would include Crucial, Samsung, Infineon and the like.

Now all you have todo is respond once more and you'll shed that mini status
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by woel
            Okej thanx!

Hej hej Woel... Vad gillar du min avatar?

Well, your CPU should not pass 70 celcius, it still will work but you will shorten its life allot!

First, raise you voltage more then 1.8. I can do 1.85 with my ASUS motherboard and XP 1800, as long your temp isnt to high raise the fsb.

About timing... More aggressive timing do more then raising your fsb. So it all dependes how low your timing has to be at that fsb. I always benchmark my system when trying to overclock.

1. Lower your timing as much as possible at correct fsb. (benchmark)
            2. Raise voltage as much as possible and keep an eye at your temp from now on...
            3. Crank up your fsb in small steps and benchmark, run loops to find out if stable or not. When not stable try lower your timing and benchmark again end then you will know...

Benchmark the application you want more power to. If it is games, benchmarg exactly those games. If it is encoding of movies, benchmark that and so on.

Keep us informed how you are doing and your score please. We are always intrested in scores.

Hare gött i Sola'

Comment

Hej & hi & thankyou!

Well the temperature of the cpu shouldn't be a problem then. It goes just above 50 degrees celsius when gaming when it's overclocked to 1,6GHz.

The memory timings I have seem to be good. Got over 9000 3dmarks.

The system seem to be stabel at 145MHz fsb. I will try to higher the voltages a bit more.

Have rised vio and ddr voltages one notch each (cpu is at 1.80 still).

Wohoo! I'm not a mini any more.

Rimfaxe: Dataingenjör från karlstad eller?

/Leo
              AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
              Asus A8N-E
              Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
              Lian-Li PC60
              Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

Also good case cooling helps in overclocking.
                Memory timings have an effect as well and it often a balacing trick between the fastest timings and fsb settings. Only benchmarking will tell this.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It seems almost impossible to get the computer stable at 150MHz fsb...
                  AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
                  Asus A8N-E
                  Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
                  Lian-Li PC60
                  Windows XP Pro 64bit

Comment

@150 your buses could be way OC'd unless the divider kicks in ie PCI = ~ 50mHz. If it does kick in it should be 37.5mHz and going above that might be causing problems for other devices (AGP, PCI cards, IDE, etc.)

Also understand that when OCing, increasing the FSB and Vcccore drastically escalates the wattage consumed thus generates alot more heat. 50c might run stable @stock speeds, but would jump to >60c easily and cause the cpu to lockup.

You really need to see temps below 40c or less to get to the extreme fringe. This is why water cooling is commonly used. Quieter and far more effecient at dissapating heat than even the best MONSTER air cooled HS's available.
                    Last edited by Greebe; 29 November 2002, 09:09.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

woel: jag läser bara temporärt i linköping, jag e en karlstadgrabb egentligen...

you got 9000 points?!? why OC?

Comment

Woel if you want to go all hardcore you can mod the cpu and get a lower multuplier, that you might (should) be able to have fsb > 166!!
                        P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
                        Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
                        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Well, the CPU should be able to take that. But the PCI/AGP probably can't. 166MHz FSB is great, if you have a 1/5 divider. Which the KR7A133 does not have.

Comment

but even inexpensive MB's like the MSI 745 Ultra does.

Comment

Rumor is that the KT266A does indeed have 1/5 pci dividers, but that is under NDA....
                              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X