My Altec Lansing 641's came in!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Altec Lansing 641's came in!!!

Listening to golden oldies (eg. Roy Orbison - The Great Pretender/Only the Lonely, Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight, ZZTop - Sharp Dressed Man, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Eagles - Hotel California), I find that this system handles quite well for how much it costs (about 230 canadian).
    I hear a lot of tiny little things I didn't hear on my Sony Mini-hifi system I bought back in '96. For example, the piano keys in Only the lonely are more pronounced and in general, sounds "natural." Very easy to listen to. Guitar riffs sound realistic and easy to pick out of a song(even with slightly boomy base). While playing Hotel California, I found I could pick out all the instruments and tell what they actually are.

Haven't dedicated enough time to fine tune base and treble (damned townhouse complex doesn't like loud music of any kind), but with a few small changes, sounds warm and fills my room with sweet music easily. Defaults for this set sounds flat and kinda harsh. When turned down, sounds fairly well balanced and isn't overpowered by the base. I had to turn both the base and treble down 1 notch.

Construction: The satellites have a nice weight and appear to be well constructed. The stands that come with the package are metal and holds the speakers firmly to the desk(I have IKEA desk that angles the monitor so it points closer to headlevel while sitting down). Keep in mind, the satellites have a rear stand built into the base and remind me too much of the rear keyboard stands on MS Natural keyboards and I don't trust them. Other than that, I am quite pleased with the overall feel of the speakers. Even the wiring has a nice, "expensive" feel to it, although it is quite thin.

Controls: the control unit looks quite nice and works as advertised. I would like more control over the tweaking, but I can't complain for the amount of money I spent on it. Lastly, the headphone jack on the control unit works fine and I found no problems with it other than it being very quiet. I had to turn it up quite loud to properly drive my headphones(in sig). My soundcard drives my headphones better, so I leave it hooked up to it.
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD