Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the coppermines work with the BX chipset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erich .. how's your mobo doing at 133 FSB ??
    i have the same mobo as yours .. currently runnig it with a celery @464 and i was wondering about any future upgrades with this mobo .. it's performaing very well too.
    i only got too problems with it :
    1. I have PC-100 CAS 3 and i set it to CAS 2 in the bios and it sometimes return back to CAS 3 on reboots.
    2. G200 Doesn't work at AGP 2X even if i force it ( happens with Win98, Win95b, and any driver version)
    BTW. are you using the triones bus master drivers that comes on the cd ? did u have any incomapatibilities with it ?

------------------
    GigaByte 6BXE, celeron 300A@464, 128 PC100 RAM,
    G200 8 M SD @112.5 core. driver 4.51, bios 2.3.

GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

The 6BXE works fine at 133Mhz FSB but I am experiencing the same strange problem that you have with the CAS setting. For me it seems to switch back when I close my case and the heat rises to the point where it crashes(I will do something about the heatproblems when I have the energy and figured out how to deal with the problem). When running with the case open it never switches back. AGP 2X works fine for me, I haven´t installed anything from the Gigabyte CD.

Sorry if I didn´t answer directly but I have been away.

------------------
      P2 400@533Mhz(4*133),128 MB PC133,Gigabyte GA-6BXE, Matrox Milleenium G200 8MB,Soundblaster AWE32(a bit old but it works great),2.6GB Fujits HD,TEAC 32x CD-ROM

Comment

Jammrock!

A I understand it, you have just switched board, without re-installing Win98!? If so, why the heck? It's ALWAYS the way to go to re-install (new install) the OS, when you change the board. You get the drive cleaned up and you don't have to borther with all those mystique errors..........damn I'm jealous

------------------
        HBS - ASUS P2B-S, PII 350MHz(o/c to 412MHz), Mill. G200, 128MB RAM, Cheetah 9.1GB Ultra2, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, Sony CD-R, Canon Scanner - all SCSI, SB64AWE.

ASUS P2B-S, PIII-550 (o/c to 565MHz), 512MB RAM, Seagate X15 & Cheetah XL, Matrox Mill. G200SG, SB LivePlayer, Plextor 32x CD-Rom, PlexWriter PX-R820T CD-R, Canon BJC-7000 InkJet, OkiPage 4W Laser and Canon CanoScan 300 Scanner.

Comment

VIKINGMAN,

Worry not, my computer will go through a complete overhaul tonight. I simply wanted to test a few things out before the big format c: happened. I also need to learn how to tweak that new BIOS. They have like a million diferent tweaks that the motherboard can do. It will take a while to tweak it all. Hopefully I will be able to take my computer to new highs once I am all done. Talk to you all later.

Jammrock

------------------
          PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes, pin taping is a definite possibility. I'm running my P2 400 at 4x133=532 without a glitch at 2.4volts, max temp 40C. Here is my longwinded story, for all those overclockers who need some tips!!

http://forums.gagames.com/forums/For...ML/000214.html

-neo
            ICQ 17029523

------------------
            Asus P2B-F, 532MHZ Pentium II (4x133 at 2.4v), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, WD 7200RPM 18Gig, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Jammrock,
              You can be a little more conservative than "format c:" if you like. I just deltree windows. Same effect, but I keep my documents, dos games, etc around. It also leaves anything in \Program Files alone, so I don't have to reconfigure Netscape and some other things.

Good luck.

------------------
              503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,RH6 & Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM), no plans to buy a G400

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat,

I am also a partition phreak. The only thing on my C: drive is Windows and my drivers (which all get reinstalled anyway). All of my apps are on a seperate partition. That way I can format c: and not have to worry about deleting anything important

Jammrock

------------------
                PIII 540 (120 MHz x 4.5 - 540), 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS P3B-F, Winblows 98 SuckyEdition, 18 GB WD Expert HDD, Encore 6x DVD w/ Dxr3 decoder, (TEMPORARY!!!) Voodoo 3 2000 @ 175 MHz which will be replaced by a Matrox G400 MAX, Sound Blaster Live! full retail, MAG DX715T 17

Comment

More importantly, I think it would be better if camino was slot1 compatible. In other words, Run your celeron/p2/p3 in a camino board for agp4x compatability
                  What the hell are we doing in the middle of the desert?

Comment

Something of interest, Intel announced last week that they are now considering adopting PC133 as well as Rambus for camino. Apparently it's been their backup plan since first deciding to go with Rambus, but they just made it official last week.

See the story here:
                    http://www.theregister.co.uk/990720-000005.html

------------------
                    Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
                    Asus P2B-S, PII-350, 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 3.2GB IBM Deskstar3 EIDE, 2 Quantum Atlas I 2.1GB UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, WangDAT SCSI, MillG200 8MB (Anxiously awaiting my G400MAX), SBLive! Retail, Win98SE

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 07-25-99).]
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

ok STEP has me interested, what is it a coommpany? whats the url?? just may have to get a p3 after all if they claim 600Mhz

please let me have url

thanks

------------------
                      i don't know what im going to bitch about now that the avp patch is out.
                      p2 350 at 450, 196 meg pc100,10gig hard drive,5xdvd cl drive, xitel p. storm sound, 32meg g400 dualhead, acs 400 altec lansing speakers+yamaha rear, ch throttle, ch force fx, ch pedeals, hp laserjet 4, epson 400 color, ctx vl950 main mag dx17t secondary monitors
                      other systems k6-2 350 and k6 200.

Comment

Merchant2,

http://www.step-thermodynamics.com

Step is a really good company. I have ordered 4 chips from them for me and friends. The RAM they sell is top notch too. It's not HSDRAM that you can buy elsewhere, but it is a lot less money and is very stable at speeds over 133 MHz (I have not run a system that fast myself yet, my V3 prevents in, but other people have using their RAM). The coolers are very expensive, but the at cost CPU and RAM plus the lifetime gauruntee on all parts (cooler, CPU and RAM) makes it a very good deal (especially for overclockers).

And yes the P3B-F is an awesome board. That's all I have to say about that.

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

Jammrock thanks for the url. looks like step is going to get my money next upgrade. have to wait just a bit and see what happens with the k7.

can anyone tell me about thire experince with step's products.

------------------
                          p2 350 at 450, 196 meg pc100,10gig hard drive,5xdvd cl drive, xitel p. storm sound, 32meg g400 dualhead, acs 400 altec lansing speakers+yamaha rear, ch throttle, ch force fx, ch pedeals, hp laserjet 4, epson 400 color, ctx vl950 main mag dx17t secondary monitors

Comment

You already now my experience with my STEP stuff. Got the stuff 8 days after i ordered(live in Sweden) now running at 533Mhz. They garantied the processor to 496Mhz but I got lucky. It seems like they get some shipments that overklock really good (like the P3 450Mhz they have now) and some that can´t go that high(but still very good). Does Jammrock have anything to add?

------------------
                            P2 400@533Mhz(4*133),128 MB PC133,Gigabyte GA-6BXE, Matrox Milleenium G200 8MB,Soundblaster AWE32(a bit old but it works great),2.6GB Fujits HD,TEAC 32x CD-ROM

Comment

I have had a 50/50 with Step. Of the 4 original CPU/fan/RAM sets I have ordered from them I have had 2 CPU's that screwed up. They were promptly replaced mind you, and the replacements work perfectly. The first was a Celeron 300A PPGA with Slot converter that overclocked, but was not stable with games at 450 MHz. I returned it and it was promptly replaced with a Celeron 400 that overcclocks without flaw. The other one was Slot 1 Celeron 300A that had a problem with condensation forming on the heat transfer plate. I think it was more because the guys basement was 50 F and it is very humid in KC, but Step is replacing it for free as we speak (they promise that the no cendensation will form, so...)

On to the good stuff. The other 2 chips I have are AWESOME. I have never had any troubles hitting the Overclock garuntee and a ways beyond with the other 2. My PIII 450 from STEP goes to 540 MHz and could go higher, but my V3 prevents it. The other one is a 'conservatively' clocked Celeron 300A @ 450 that has run flawlessly in a low end server for almost 6 months of constant use.

Despite my small troubles I highly recommend STEP. I am an extreme phreak when it comes to computer hardware running right and Step has an excelent product. Just don't run your computer in a icebox in an extremely humid area and you should be fine.

Jammrock

------------------

Comment

nice to know that they rma with out problems,

im going to wait a bit see what the price wars and performance wars do over the next 3 months then it's buy me a new what ever in november (the 16th is my birthday hehehe) dam 31 that sucks. oh i had a v3 200 agp in my system of corse thats sitting on a shelf right now (i got my 400 (not max)) post and let us know if you can hit that 600 mark when you get yours.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X