Win 2K logon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2K logon

OK....so we bought a house to flip...the previous owner left a bunch of stuff behind. Included was a p4 2.2 with win 2kpro. A rig he had obviously started to upgrade before he skipped the state several years ago, but never quite finished. Unfortunatly, while he left a PILE of 5-10 year old software behind, he did not leave the disk for win2k (which I never owned).

So...I'm building up the rig for my kids to use. No probs loggin on, went through hours up MS updates, then start to personalize the system. Changed it's network ID (did not record the old network ID, derrrrrr).

For the first time in 30+ boots it goes to the logon screen (always just booted with no logon screen till now). Of course, now it will not log on with the new ID I assigned it. Tried to log on as administrator, no password, no go.

Can I get past this, or do I need to go buy a fresh copy of xp?
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

You can reset the local Administrator password. There's an app to do it on the "Ultimate Boot CD", which you can find quickly by googling. That will at least get you in to the box again.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Downloading now...thanks
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

So...the problem is only that you don't know admin pass?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophcrack ?

edit: oh, or resetting (though finding his pass might be...funny? Potentially... )

Comment

Offline NT password & registry editor:

Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

That was too easy
            The ultimate boot cd has a lot of handy stuff on it.
            Thanks again

Comment

Of course that was too easy.

I spent a couple evenings tweaking the rig, gettin it ready for the kids.
              Then last night, I go to install the games I got em to go with the rig...find out they require XP-sp2.
              So I suck it up, and go buy an upgrade version of XP.
              Get home, find out the upgrade only works on 98, 98se and ME.
              WTF MS? XP is not an upgrade to 2k???

Reformat, dust off the old 98se disk, installin a clean XP now....sigh...

Comment

because xp is NOT an upgade to win2k

Comment

I seem to remember you could upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional only to...yep, XP Professional (and I guess you didn't buy that, no difference from Home for your use)

Comment

Yea, I got XP home...it's just for the kids, and it's 100 bux cheaper...

Comment

Gawd, I just can't win.

Got XP installed, all is running fine, with my Parhelia out of retirement to replace the on-board SiS video. Or not.

The 2 games I bought the kids (UT3 and SimCity Societies) both require DX9 cards. Niether will even start up with the P.
                      Despite the system requirements not listing any Matrox card, I thought surely they would at least support a last-gen card with 128 meg at reduced details.

Sigh.....back to the store to shop for a video card....

Comment

Working...
                      X