Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the H3**?!?! Win2K doesn't let me defrag(says C: Drive is write only)!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a permissions problem to me. Right click on your hard drive and check the security settings.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Back when Executive Software released the first upgrade patch for Diskeeper 5 to make it run under Windows 2000, the freely downloadable updater actually had the whole software in it, installing happily on a system with no previous release of Dk5 on it (you just had to start the .msi installer directly after extracting the update).

As of the <a href="http://www.diskeeper.com/diskeeper/update-patch/501_download.asp">5.30 update</a> they have finally noticed how stupid it was of them giving away their software for free. The update package still has the whole software inside but it also comes with a check for a previous version of Dk5. You either try to crack that and get rid of the check or simply install it over the previous update you downloaded for free if you still have it (as I do).

Neither of which is legal of course.

(btw fosi apps has the Win2k prof version of dk5 available, you can update from there.)

Comment

Diskeeper is FAR too slow for Win2k... you could be defragging for weeks!

Norton Speedisk was very fast and worked very well (about the only thing they have that works well), but it doesn't support NTFS5, which is too bad.

I've found another program called PerfectDisk2000 which supports NTFS5 and defrags much faster than the Windows defragger and Diskeeper defragger.
        http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

Give it a try... it ain't free though.

Comment

Norton Speedisk Beta for Windows 2000

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/americas/sabu/sdnt/sdnt215.zip

FDS is correct about the Diskeeper update. That's what I did to mine. I don't look at it as being illegal though considering I am updating what is already there.....
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Thx DosFreak. Norton did the trick again. Freakin' Diskkeeper insisted that C: drive was write-protected. Norton followed my directions like a good lil' proggy.
            Epox 8RDA+
            AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
            512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
            ATI 8500 64mb
            Hercules Fortissimo II
            Tekram DC-315U
            Pioneer DVD 303S
            Pioneer DVR-106
            Zip100 Internal
            Logitech MX 500 Mouse
            Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
            Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD