No announcement yet.

Funky desktop problem on G400 OEM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent had any problems at all with my DH G400 32MB, other than a few visual glitches in OpenGL, like some pixel flickering on the seams of textures - definately driver related.

Comment

Well I tried it in the Dell and the same damn thing is happening, time to take it back. Only question now is, try another Matrox card? Or get a TNT2 which I know worked perfectly in my machine's both at home and at work. Any thoughts?
      PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

Are you for real? Or are you just yanking everybody around?
        You already have an answer to your own question. You bought the G400 for some reason or another, and that was after you already had that V770. IF you have a bad card, send it back and get another, it's not really that hard. If you think the G400 has compatibility problems with your equipment, I think you are wrong! Now, I am not going to hold your hand in making your decision of what card to buy, it doesn't matter to me in the least, if you want help on installing it, that's fine, If you want help on what certain features are and what they do, that's just great. But don't come here expecting anyone to make your purchasing decisions for you. I have already answered your questions....NO THERE ARE NO INCOMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS WITH THE G400 AND THE INTEL MOTHERBOARD! Sheesh.
        Matt

------------------
        Is this some kind of bust?
        Yes, it's very impressive.

Comment

I am asking what people would do in my particular situation, and I am sure the card is compatible with the motherboard. I DO NOT need anyone's help doing anyting with my system, I am perfectly capable of building and configuring a system ( I have done this for years now). Since my last post I have decided to try another G400, but this time I am staying away from an OEM model and am going to get a retail version this weekend.

[This message has been edited by cpld005 (edited 07-14-99).]
          PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

Don't get on cpld005 too much for his card not working. 3 of us purchased identical motherboards (tekram P6B40D-A5) and the OEM G400 dualhead. Only one of us has gotten the G400 to work. I installed mine last night and tried the 5.13 drivers before I installed any other video drivers. The thing just hangs right after login. So I removed the 5.13 drivers using the utility that Matrox has on their site and installed the ones from the CD. Still hangs but lasts a few seconds longer. This is the same problem one of my friends had. He tried a little earlier and now is running fine with his old Number Nine card trying to decide what to do next.

The machine specs are

Tekram P6B40D-A5 (BX chipset)
            Intel PIII 550MHz
            256MB PC100 Memory
            Diamond MX300 PCI Sound Card
            Promise Ultra 66 IDE card
            IBM GXP 22GB drive
            Linksys LNE100TX NIC
            Panasonic LS-120
            Toshiba SD-M1202 DVD
            HP 8200 CR-RW
            Onstream DI30

This is pretty much the same as the other two machines that were built. Only real difference is that I am the only one with the LS-120 drive but the other machine that has the same problem with the G400 does not have the LS-120 so I do not think it is a conflict with any specific piece of hardware. But then I have just started looking for any sort of problems that have been reported with the G400 so I checked this board first.

Any pointers you can provide would be of help. I really want to like this card. I had a Millenium II for the longest time and really like Matrox products.

Thanks

Comment

Err... try running without UDMA/66. Seriously. I just heaved an ABIT BE6, since the UDMA/66 conflicted with my:

SCSI
              Video
              Printer

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I took the card back to the poeple I bought it from for a replacement, they tested the card and indeed IT IS FAULTY, they do not have any other Matrox cards in stock G400 or otherwise. The ordered cards from Matrox 2 weeks ago and have yet tor eceive them, they have no idea when they will get more in so i'm stuck with a Millemium II PCI til they get more cards in or break down and buy another one from somewhere else who has them in stock, Decisions decisions. Oh well at least there is a computer show tomorow to try.

Comment

Well it looks like I was a little luckier than cpld005. It tooks some time but I found an order of cards in the PCI slots that allowed everything to work just fine.

The main thing that I had to do was find an order that ensured that the Promise Ultra 66 controller was not sharing an IRQ (with any other device) when the the G400 was installed. It did not matter when I had a Millenium II installed. The Promise controller and the Mill II were able to co-exist quite nicely.

Comment

Working...
                  X