Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DualHead: DVD on 2nd monitor? 3D Games on 2nd monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualHead: DVD on 2nd monitor? 3D Games on 2nd monitor?

DVDMax will only currently work with a TV as a second monitor. Hopefully this will be addressed in the near future...

3D games will play on head2, with either a TV or monitor hooked up...if you use "clone mode", but not Multi-monitor mode.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

HI,

These do not work well on the second head right now since it is not accelerated... only the first one is.

alex

Comment

DualHead: DVD on 2nd monitor? 3D Games on 2nd monitor?

Hello,

I've heard some rumors that the DualHead feature is crippled when it comes to playing DVD on the 2nd display, and playing 3D games on the 2nd display.

Namely, that these two features are only possible if the second display is a TV, and not an RGB Monitor.

Can anyone confirm if this is true? If it is true, is this a driver issue that is likely to be fixed in the near future, or is it a limitation of the G400 hardware?

The reason I ask is that my "TV" is one of those multimedia TVs, that actually accepts 640x480. So naturally, I'd like to output to it at that instead of just NTSC. At the same time, I cant use it as my main display because its no good for > 640x480.

Andy K.

Comment

Hmm, so basically the DualHead feature is useless above and beyond a standard TV-out, since it doesnt really *do* anything in RGB mode. (except expanding the desktop).

What a waste.

Andy K.

Comment

"D3D output to the second monitor must be programmed into the application though."

Does this imply that using the DualHead-Clone mode (ie game output identical to both monitors), the second output will still not be accelerated? Since most games are not likely to be dualhead-aware, this is a problem.

"DSD to the secodnary output is not currently supported but will be introduced"

I assume you meant DVD instead of DSD? If so, this is good news. However, with effectively no game support on the 2nd monitor (no accelerated support = no support), its still not a good solution overall.

I currently have a Video splitter/amplifier. The solution is less than ideal because a)The splitter is not 100% transparent, especially at higher refresh rates, and b)I have to switch screen mode to 640x480 @ 60Hz to use 2nd display.

DualHead could, ideally, solve both problems very elegantly. If I lose functionality, though, it just aint worth it.

Andy K.

Comment

The 5.2x drivers will introduce a scondary HAL (hardware abstraction layer) for the second output, this will allow hardware acceleration on the second monitor. D3D output to the second monitor must be programmed into the application though.

DSD to the secodnary output is not currently supported but will be introduced although I don't think it is to come in immediately with the 5.2x release.

Comment

to the new forum

Comment

Ant, what is the status on DVD support for the secondary display? Is it stil planned?

Regards,
                Diddl

Comment

OK, question:

Since the second head doesn't accelerate D3D, you can't play a game that is dual-head capable? Like the enhanced games om Matrox's site wich says first person view on the 1st head, and "back" view on the 2nd head?
                  So playing an "enhanced game like that isn't possible?
                  AMD TB1,2 on a KT7-RAID, A201HT + 17", 396MB, Log. Itouch, G400-32DH, Plextwriter 12x4x32(SCSI), Ultraplex 32x(SCSI), Quantum LM plus 20GB, IBM 40GB, Maxtor 20GB

Comment

No, Nicap....this thread is ancient. Since this thread was originally posted (over 6 months ago), that has changed. If the game/app is written for multi monitors, it will work fine...
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                    X