Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What affect does the new ATI card have on Parhelia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What affect does the new ATI card have on Parhelia?

your thoughts?
    None, Parhelia still rocks.
    0%
    Some, I wish Parhelia performed a little better.
    0%
    A ton. Parhelia is dead on arrival.
    0%
    Man, I wish people would stop bashing parhelia!
    0%
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

BTW, I only put the last option up there as a joke.

Actually, I would have chosen the last one, but I fought the the urge to vote that one. It'll skew our results.
    Last edited by moreau; 18 July 2002, 06:37.
    System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Unless you're really into triple-head (hey, what red-blooded male wouldn't be??), I hear that ol' death knell ringing.

-[Ch]ams

Comment

Wow,

still a majority for "Some,..."!? Now I know, what a loyal fan-base means.

cu,
        kaasboer

Comment

well well ..

it is indeed an impressive card, i was hoping matrox could hold the fight , i can only thing of TH as a saving point ...

hoping for a product refresh in 6 months , when i buy my hammer rig
          :::muted:::

Comment

Originally posted by kaasboer
            Wow,

kaasboer, I don't think that this is because we are matrox fan. Simply, I think that it's beacuse the ones of as who have bought a Parhelia don't have bought it for gaming.

To be honest I'd really like to have one of those new Radeon, but I know that my main needs are to have a stable card with really good 2d definition so I'll stick again with Matrox, even if it's not so performing...
            After all, I still use a G400 since more than 3 years ago...
            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

the new radeon card sounds all fine and dandy... but... after my experiences with the Radeon 8500 on several computers, i can't justify buying another ATI video card...

i think i will still probably wind up buying the P because it does seem to still have some advantages, and i can guarantee that it is gonna work right with new games, even if it is a bit underpowered for them.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

geez, certainly looks like a deja vu a la g400max. darn...
                The future's no use today.
                <a href="http://autarkic.org/geek.html">RIG*</a>

Comment

Originally posted by diewlei
                  geez, certainly looks like a deja vu a la g400max. darn...
                  LOL not quite....at least the G400 lead a couple benchmarks at the time and the Parhelia's OpenGL is a lot better
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by kaasboer
                    Wow,

cu,
                    kaasboer
                    Not as much as loyal..its as much as not getting hung up in the hype of my card can do X FPS in x game. I went from a R8500 to a Parhelia and the P can run all the games at a higher res minus a couple issues with certain games (which should be fixed with drivers) better then the R8500 did on the same hardware. I'm sure that if the Parhelia was clocked at the same speed as the R9700...the benchmarks would have been very similar. Matrox went the route of making the card fit the AGP specs for power (and I'm guessing more stable) and lowered the clock speed accordingly. The thing I'm interested in is what those Aphla Parhelia's where running at with the massive heatsinks on them. I kinda find it hard to believe that Aphla card was clocked at the same speed as what the retail cards where at with that additional cooling on them...but then again what the hell do I know about GPUs
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Well the P will have trouble in attracting new users it's a pity it didn't come out 6 months ago.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Don't worry folks, the P hasn't even begun to flex it's muscles yet!

Wait till applications ala Games start to take advantage of it's awesome architecture, and then we'll see some serious benchmarks.

The perfect example is the Sharmark benchmark, where the Nvidia and ATI couldn't even come close to P.

Cheers,
                        Elie

Comment

multi-texturing

From Tom's:
                          It is not yet clear if the omission of a second texture unit per pixel rendering pipeline was indeed a smart choice. Under multi texturing conditions, GeForce4 Ti4600 is theoretically able to supply just the same amount of pixels per clock as Radeon 9700. The fill rate test of 3DMark2001 SE hinted in the same direction. The score of Radeon 9700 is very close to the result of GeForce4 Ti4600.
                          now see for instance:

where Parhelia shows the best fill rate for multitexturing...

Not to beat a dead horse, but it would seem that in the future, should multitexturing become a defacto feature of games, that the parhelia will become a stronger competitor...

I'll leave it to the people in the know about future software to comment?

Comment

As long time matrox 2d fan, I migrated to Nvidia when the overpriced and slow Parhlia came out.

I too was hoping matrox would again lead the video card market, but check out that anand review and tell me that matrox is old news already.

With matrox not supporting windows 98, showing sluggish 3D performance, and card price to make a gurly boy dance, the ATI Radeon 9700 will be the new king.

Quality, Speed, & Future use-ability will be what makes the Radeon 9700 the best. I havnt owned an ATI card in years, but if even half of what the review sites claim is true, Nvidia has been swept into second place, and Matrox bringing up the distant rear.

Comment

Hey! Some of us "manly" men like to dance too!
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X