Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matrox vs ATI

HI,

I've been following this board off and on. I was all slated to purchase a p750 for my computer. The big reason being that I was going to purcahse 2 LCDs with DVI inputs.

I can't help but notice that while ATI, which I've read has exceptional performance, cards drop in price the Matrox cards seem not too. It isn't the case where Matrox cards retain the 'value' relative to performance but more of a market demand vs supply issue.

Can anyone explain this to me and also make a recommendation based on my needs. Am I wrong, do you really get more for the 235 vs a 150 ATI?

*The only computer game I've played in the last 3 years is Civilization 3 so 3D graphics is not an issue for me.

Comment

I don't think you can find a dual DVI ATI card, with the exception of the FireGL series...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Yes, you are correct.

I don't believe Nvidia or ATI has dual DVI cards for the mass market.

I guess the issue at hand is, is dual DVI worth 100 dollars.

Comment

Aren't some of the Gainward cards dual-DVI?
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

my asus has dual dvi

Comment

NVidia does have dual DVI, no doubt about it. ATI, on the other hand, does not at the moment...
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

ATI only does dual DVI on there pro firegl stuff.

But I am sure I have seen dual DVI 9600 on the net somewhere, but it may have just been a prototype that never went into production.

edit: to add

here you go a phantom card, the dual dvi 9600 from tyan...

as far as I know, it never eventuated
                Oh It DID !!
                Last edited by Marshmallowman; 17 December 2003, 21:51.

Comment

ya, dun know why, but tyan gave up

Comment

oops was on editing binge, the dual DVI is indeed available form tyan...see above

Comment

there's only one problem with released Tyan Dual-DVI... it's not available on REAL reatail stores at least here.
                      "Dippadai"

Comment

The specs on tyan.com says single DVI output for all three models listed. Can someone point out what I'm missing.

Someone mentioned Gainward. And yes, the Gainward FX does seem to be dual DVI.

What is this board like compared to the p750? The price seems to be about 20% cheaper.

Comment

Look at the tyan site, in the top right hand corner is an animated picture saying, "dual DVI option"

Comment

Interesting

You are right. There is a animated gif saying there is a "dual DVI option". I have no idea what a dual DVI option is in this case though.

The specs on the actual page also states DVI (Single). I guess we will have to wait to read from someone who actually owns this card.

Comment

Hmmm...

It seems the best I can hope for is to wait a bit.

I'm hoping the new Matrox card will be a P Series. This will, or at least should, lower prices on the current models. The P750 should hit around 170, the current P650 prices. That represents almost a 28% discount. A good 'value' buy. Of course between now and the time Matrox releases a new card, Nvidia and ATI is estimated to release about 50 billion new cards. Making curerent crops of the Nvidia and ATI cards a better 'value' purchase.

I just have great memories of my Matrox Millenium. What a great card.

Comment

This G400 is not going anywhere. I love it so.

Comment

Working...
                                X