No announcement yet.

Halflife performance and others - help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halflife performance and others - help!

Hi All.
    I bought my 32meg G400 today, trading it in for an ASUS 16 meg tnt.
    As I'm a gamer at heart, the first thing i did was boot up halflife and see what it had to offer me. To be honest I got a better picture with the old tnt. The view was all jerky like when i turned vsync on on my tnt. So, I tried out tribes. EEEEk! My god what is going on here, its like the original version of tribes with opengl only sooo much worse.... wierd textures, the hand held's go black, the framerate lags like nothing else.... I try quake2 - mmmmmmm nice 90+fps @1024x768 but not mmm enuff to get over the other problems. I try avp - mmmm again, much better than the other.
    However I play halflife and tribes much more than the others, so the others dont really count.
    Now tribes I know about, its a problem with them, not the card.
    However in halflife, things start to get really wierd:
    1) In opengl i get wierd purple splodges and crap on the walls, plus strange flickerings here and there
    2) In Direct3d, no splodges, a _very_ slight increase in framerate but _no_ decals show up at all - a big minus for d3d, am using ogl.
    3)in both modes - vsync is on, no matter what i do it is stuck, all registry editing does nothing, the tweak program they give us does nothing, nothing works at all and i still get fairly average framerates, all jerky like - i dont mind the texture rip it smoothes out the pictures. Maybe i should increase my monitor refresh? This is driving me up the wall....
    4) The strangest of all - there is almost NO difference in framerate running at 640x480 to running at 1280x1064!!!!! Both res's are all jerky...

I am seriously considering returning the card to the dodgy asian computer store i got it from and swappping it for a dv770 with a trusty tnt in it....

Any pointers anyone to convince me to keep this card?

Hey,

Half life works for me ok in OpenGL. I was having problems for awhile, but it's because I had dual head enabled. OpenGL and dual head don't play nice. Make sure dual head is disabled.

Second, there is a half life config from kruzin on here somewhere. You should do a search in the forums on half life. This quesiton has been addressed 100 times. If none of the suggestions help, then post again.

BTW, whatever you do... don't buy a diamond product. They suck on driver updates. There latest update for Nvidia drivers doesn't even include Det 2.08 from what I hear. Go with creative labs or anyone else. But honestly, I think you already have the best card on the market right now. Play with it a bit before you return it.

Later

------------------
    Abit BH6, Celeron 450, Matrox G400 32mb "MAX", 256mb ram, IBM 10GB, DVD 5x, MX300

Abit BH6
    Celeron 450
    Matrox G400 32mb "MAX"
    256MB PC100 RAM
    IBM 10GB 7200rpm HDD
    Creative Labs DVD 5x
    Mitsumi 4x/2x/8x CD-RW
    Monster Sound MX300
    USR 56K Modem
    ADi 6P (19" Monitor)
    Windows ME

Comment

Half-Life's nice and purdy on my G400 MAX. If you really can't find the config file, I'll dig it up and post it when I get home.

I'm using the TurboGL - the ICD gave me corruption galore with 5.30, and the TurboGL is just sooo much faster. I play at 1152x864, and get about 30 to 35FPS.

It just looks so much nicer than a V2. Blues and reds stand out. No water-fog on gasworks, but that's not exactly a bad thing.

Just my $0.02

------------------
      Primary System: Athlon 550, MSI 6167 mb w/BIOS 1.3, 3x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, G400 MAX in multi-monitor mode, Two Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u monitors, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster Live!, DeskTop Theater DTT2500 DIGITAL Speaker System (Sweeeeeet!), WDC WD20 5AA 20GB HD, WD AC310100 10GB HD, Toshiba SD-M1212 6x DVD-ROM, HP 8100i CD-RW, Epson Stylus Pro, OptiUPS PowerES 650, MS SideWinder Precision Pro USB joystick, Gravis Xterminator gamepad (no DX7 drivers yet), Logitech 3-button mouse, Mitsumi keyboard, Win98 SE, Belkin OmniCube 4-port KVM, 10/100 5-port Linksys Ethernet switch, Epson 1200u scanner, Epson Stylus Pro printer, Logitech QuickCam Pro with the little stand and the lense kit (cool).

Secondary System: PIII-450, Soyo 6BA+ IV, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium G200 AGP, V2 SLI rig, Intel Pro/100+ Management Adapter, SoundBlaster 32, WD AC41800 18GB HD, Creative Dxr3 DVD decoder card, Hitachi GD-2500 6x DVD-ROM, Win98 SE

Tertiary System: PII-266, Asus P2B BIOS 1008, 1x128MB PC100 ECC SDRAM CAS2, Millennium II, 3Com 3C905, 3Com 3C509, ADSL Modem 640kbit down/90kbit up, Mylex BT-930 SCSI card, Seagate 2GB Hawk, Seagate 1GB Hawk, Quantum DLT 4000 tape drive, NEC 6x CD-ROM, Linux distro S.u.S.E. 6.1 (IP Masquerade works!)

Quaternary System: Ocean Rhino 9 motherboard w/Intel 430HX chipset, P200MMX, 4x64MB EDO Parity RAM, Millennium II, 3Com 3C590, SoundBlaster 16 MCD, Fujitsu 3.5GB HD, WD 1.2GB HD, Haven't chosen an OS yet.

And a JetDirect EX print server that bootp's its address from the Tertiary System.

All specs subject to change.

-The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
      The engineer says: "I put half of my water
      in a redundant glass."
      The pessimist says: "The glass is half empty."
      The optimist says: "The glass is half full."
      The engineer says: "I put half of my water in a redundant glass."

Comment

Working...
      X