Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Murcers Cars (and Bikes) Thread. What do you have, and maybe, why ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a Passat, a Clio and a Mondeo since 2000.
    I still have the Clio and the Passat.
    The mondeo's anti-roll bar ripped itself off the chassis, and that was too much to repair.
    Loved the 2.5L V6 engine though, even if it was a bit thirsty.

edit : Had the Clio since 00, passat since 01, and the Mondeo since 06, took it to brokers yard in 21.
    Last edited by Evildead666; 13 January 2024, 05:35.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
      1997 Lancia Kappa 2.4L 20v
      I can confirm it is fast.

Comment

Slightly off topic: when we bought the Subaru 2 years ago, my mother-in-law gave me a Kärcher electric ice scratcher. While we had some frozen windshields since then, today was the first time I used it: there was a layer of ice of several mm covering the windshield (yesterday, Warsaw had a blizzard causing a huge traffic chaos - we were just on the edge of it, but saw some effects). And I can say: it really works well. The device looks a bit clumsy, but it is well shaped when wearing thick gloves. It has a fast spinning plastic disk, so you have to fight it a bit, but it really dealt very fast with the thick layer of ice. Much better than I thought it would.. The first two or three times I tried it, I felt like it switched of too early, but after that it started behaving (or perhaps rather: I got the hang of it).

Last edited by VJ; 16 January 2024, 02:44.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Meanwhile, we learned that from 2028 the Polo will not be allowed in the center of Warsaw (a quite broadly defined area) due to the low emission zone. The car is Euronorm 4, and will be 25 years old then. While the rules allow for Euro4, they also impose an age limit of 22 years - if it was not for the age the norm would allow it till 2030 (when only Euro5 cars less than 20 years old will be allowed). This gives it just 3 more years of useful life time for us.

I know it is a few years away, and it is an old car, but considering that it barely drives 2000 km per year (used as second car by my in-laws, I used it much more and it has close to 180000km now), there is no economical or ecological calculation that makes sense to replace it with any new car (perhaps some second hand, but even than the price has to be low enough for there to be any point). It does mean that from now on any costly fixing will probably not be worth and may imply some other solution will have to be found. A second hand EV combined with an installation of some PVs may be an option (although the trees in the garden and the old roof construction are far from ideal for a simple PV installation).

The Subaru still has some time: the last specification for the low emission zone in Warsaw is Euro6 in 2032 for cars that are not older than 17 years. It has that latest norm (6d) and will then be just 11 years old. But I know that in some Belgian cities, 2035 will also be the end for the fuel powered cars - although some cities have started to push back that date.​
          Last edited by VJ; 16 January 2024, 04:45.
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I jacked the good old clio up this last weekend, and the jack went through the bodywork.
            Not debilitating, but a sure sign that rust has gotten in there, and its probably economically unfixable.
            Might have to finally put it out to pasture, and get another car...
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

We have a 2018 Mazda CX5 and a 2019 Mazda 2. I have found over the years that Mazda's and Toyotas to be the most reliable vehicle that you can buy here in New Zealand. European cars not so . If you do buy one sell it after the warranty expires. My last Euro car was a 2008 Ford Mondeo . A real gas guzzler at 13 liters per 100KM around town and 10L/100Km on a trip.
              paulw

Comment

Working...
              X