Sonic boom in a parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic boom in a parhelia

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is cool.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Not really a 'parhelia' but a variant of Prandtl–Glauert Singularity. True parhelia occur at much higher altitudes.

More often shows as a condensation disc or egg shaped cloud around the vehicle, but in this case the sonic boom shock wave radiating out and causing both condensation and low frequency wave motion within an ice strata. You see them during shuttle missions too, but they're usually easier to see if you're there.

As a kid and having a close relative that worked at the KSC I got to see a lot of launches and a lot of PGS's of varying types.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

So, who still has his Parhelia here? I was actually contemplating rebuilding it recently .

Comment

Still using it in my main rig...
        And it is the first version (Parhelia 512 128MB)

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

We still have a Parhelia in my wife's crafting rig where she does design work. All the other rigs in the house and studio are ATI HD 57xx-59xx (Dx11 parts). Just upgraded them not too long ago; 5 desktop systems in the house and 10 at the studio - now all C2Q's or i7's, with another box of i7 parts sitting in the storage room waiting for me to put it together.

Also have 4 dual core laptops that are also ATI and another 2 Acer AspireREVO R3610 nettop's as HTPC's (Atom 330 dualie/nVidia ION LE).
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 February 2010, 03:31.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            Not really a 'parhelia' but a variant of Prandtl–Glauert Singularity. True parhelia occur at much higher altitudes.
            Agreed, no parhelia, but probably not a PG singularity, either, as that stays attached to the the supersonic vessel.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Just watched the movie... Weird... but
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                Agreed, no parhelia, but probably not a PG singularity, either, as that stays attached to the the supersonic vessel.
                The outgoing ripple is a side effect. The singularity is there, right where the Atlas V's interstage starts as usual, but minimal visually at that distance as it sticks to the upper few meters of the first stage. The pressure waves radiate out from that point, rippling the ice crystals in a given strata at a very long wavelength - essentially infrasound. You see the sky distorted through them, like looking at the sky from underwater through a concentric ripple of waves.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X