Tricorder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tricorder ?

PORTLAND, Ore. — Purdue University researchers have demonstrated a portable instrument that they claim can identify any substance in less than a second, much like the "tricorders" used by the crew of the Enterprise in the Star Trek series.

The 20-pound, battery-powered unit combines a mass spectrometer with a desorption electrospray ionization (DESI) source.

"The detection is done in an ion trap—an RF device that traps ions, then lets them out on the basis of their masses, enabling you to be exactly sure what compound you are sensing," said Graham Cooks, Henry Bohn Hass distinguished professor of analytical chemistry at Purdue's College of Science.
    link

Sounds like it could be a very useful tool, not just for analytical chemists but also for on-the-spot forensic work and even for archeo- and paleonto-logists.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

And soon it'll be part of your cell phones bag of tricks
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

great idea for subways and enclosed areas in case of chemical attacks
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Very neat! Now make it fit in a 2 pound package with good battery life
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
          X