60 GIG 7200RPM HD
    80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
    DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Authoring:
      ...YES, most certainly...
      Editing: ...NO, most certainly not...

Sorry, Patrick
      Brian, why would you make the distinction? Is there something I should know about in regards to "Editing" that would make having no limits on the bitrate a poor option? Or are you just (surprise, surprise) teasing me?

Comment

YES.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Patrick

Me! Tease you? You know I'd never do that!

No, my thinking was simply that editing in a DVD authoring package is unnecessary and rarely works very well, anyway. I recently had occasion to take a 4+ Gb file that I wished to split into two 2+ Gb files, having made the decision after it was in the authoring software. There could hardly be a simpler editing operation. I tried it and, immediately, the damn thing irremediably overflowed, I then did the same thing in MSP, imported into the authoring software and burnt the DVD, no problem. I feel that editing should be kept to editing software and authoring software should do nothing but, well, er...authoring.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

What?

Ummm... What question of Doc's were you answering originally, Brian? The question I was answering (and you too I thought ) was:

"Do you want support for out of spec bitrates in any authoring and editing software you purchase?"

Plus keep in mind the topic heading is, "Support xVCD and xSVCD in authoring/editing software?"

Maybe my brain is getting soggy from the rain here, but I don't see what your last post has to do with this question!
            Last edited by Patrick; 9 January 2003, 01:51.

Comment

"Do you want support for out of spec bitrates in any authoring and editing software you purchase?"

I read it as authoring AND editing. You seem to read it as authoring OR editing.

In any case, anyone who tries to edit more than a cut in xVCD MPEG-1 or even xSVCD MPEG-2 is not going to have very good results, compared with full size editing in the AVI before converting to MPEG, n'est-ce pas?

I suspect this question may have been asked in relation with MovieFactory 2 which doesn't seem to give full support to the x.... formats. Is that right, Doc?
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
              X