Building a new DTV system...grateful for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new DTV system...grateful for advice

I have decided that due to the continuos problems I have with my G400 card that I am going to build a completely new system just for video. If the G400 still won't work in that I shall just stick in my G200 which was completey trouble free (as was my old RR before that). No green flashes or streaks etc...

However I would be grateful for some advice on what to build. I do not do anything professionally, just holiday videos etc.. but I like them to look good and always work in full frame (704*576 25fps) video.

I have been doing so for the past 3 years and started off with a 200mhz CPU with IDE HD's that pre-dated ATA33 and still managed this with no problem using the Matrox "home" video solutions.

This being the case, do I really need to spend loads of money on SCSI HD's etc or can I still get away with IDE? And although I am just going to use my G200, would it be worth purchasing something like the RT2000?

The following spec is what I have come up with that I think should do me fine:

ATX Super Midi Tower Case 250W PSU
    Abit KT7 Socket A ATX Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 950MHz Socket A CPU
    128MB PC133 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor Hard Drive 7,200RPM
    8x/4x/32x Speed CD Writer
    1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
    G400/G200 AGP Graphics Card (whatever works!)
    Creative SoundBlaster Live Platinum
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    2 Button PS/2 Mouse

The above will only cost about £900max.

I would use WIN98SE and my other HD's which are in removable bays for the video storage. Some of these are only ATA33 but as explained I have had no trouble before capturing and playing full frame video with these.

I really enjoy creating videos but at the moment I can't do anything which is very depressing.

Any help would be very gratefully received and apologies for such a long posting!

Andrew Wright
Working...
X