Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• find IP address of device

Hello,

What is the easiest way to find the IP address of a device that is configured with a static IP, but you do not know which one...

It is a question at my work, where we got a couple of second-hand EV chargers (specific chademo V2G for research purpose) but we cannot access the webpage for the configuration as the devices do not respond to their default IP address and are not configured for DHCP; probably their IP was changed to a different static IP. Currently, we are running an IP scanner over a local network (192.168.x.x already done, next will be 172.16.x.x, but that will take a lot longer, and hopefully we don't have to scan 10.x.x.x - and this is still assuming it was configured with a private IP). We do not have the procedure to revert to factory settings (the question was sent to the manufacturer).
    WireShark did not seem to reveal anything of interest....

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jörg​
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Try also arpscan. This is how I've found Mikrotik with forgotten IP.

Comment

The easy and dirty way: lan device scanning software such as Fing
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I managed to find the IPV6 address!
        I connected the device and my pc directly, then ran Wireshark and started the device. In Wireshark I saw a record with a mac address that was not mine, but it also contained an IPv6 address. I could use that one to go to the web-interface of the device (yes, you can enter an IPv6 address in a browser but you have to put it between square brackets!), and from there I could enter the network configuration. Weirdly enough it was configured to receive an IPv4 via DHCP, but it did not take one. But after just saving the configuration again, it correctly gets an IPv4 address from my DHCP server.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X