Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which network?

Hello,

I recently purchased a laptop (said to arrive any day now), and I wonder which network to use to have it communicate with my desktop. I have no internet connection; the desktop has 1 GBit ethernet port, the laptop has 802.11 a/b/g and 100 Mbit ethernet.

If I go wireless, what are the benefits of 802.11a over 802.11g ?

Would it be interesting to opt for a router (even though I don't need router functionality at this point), given the not so big price difference with a USB adapter/bridge ?

The 802.11a routers/bridges I have found all also support 802.11b/g, so I can still choose 802.11a/b/g with any of those solutions.

Jörg
    wired network: crosswire UTP
    0%
    wired network: using hub
    0%
    wired network: using router/switch
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11b/g using USB adapter
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11b/g using bridge
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11b/g using router
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11a using USB adapter
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11a using bridge
    0%
    wireless network: 802.11a using router
    0%
    other (specify)
    0%
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

A is in the 5GHz band, so there is less interfearence as of now. problem with A is that most, if not all public Internet nodes are on G
    I have a dual band NIC in my laptop, not that I really use it much
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

COM port!

Seriously, it depends on your priorities.

If speed is your main concern then go wired with a switch.

If flexibility/portability are important, then wireless is best.

The other thing to know about A class is that the devices I've used have all been junk. I think that there are more people using G class devices and it's given the tech an opportunity to mature. A class is still in its infancy.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yes, but the laptop is dual band as well... So I can access any network with it...

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

A is only relevant if you have interference issues in your house because of other 2.4GHz devices and QoS is extremely important, like if you need to stream HD video or smthn. So, I'd suggest going for one of those 4-port UTP, WiFi b/g routers...not too pricy these days and they'll give you all the connectivity options you could want
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Wired if you are transfering large files. 802.11g if streaming small video or transfering small files.

I use 802.11G and love it.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

If you already have the network cards why not just use crossover cable, max speed/lowest hassles
              I would put off anything more expensive until you need it.

Comment

Wired gigabit w/switch and an uplinked Cable/DSL/switch for internet here. IMO any wired network should be set up with a switch and not a hub.

Not impressed with wireless actual speed nor its security.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just curious:
                  I found out that most A+G routers can use them simultaneously. What are the chances the laptop can as well? And if this is possible: can they be combined (dual network connection) to yield a faster wireless link?

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a 802.11b/g router (it would also allow me wired connections). However, I'll check first with the laptop to see if there are many b/g wireless networks in my building: if so, I might go for an 802.11a to minimize interference. (good approach?)
                  It is a building with many small appartments/studios and generally young people renting there.

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Another question: what is MIMO (for wireless routers)?

Is it usefull to consider? Does it require support from the wifi adapters?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

A is only relevant if you have interference issues in your house because of other 2.4GHz devices and QoS is extremely important, like if you need to stream HD video or smthn.
                      Well, it is an appartement building where there are many small appartements (30-40). Most likely, there are quite a number of wireless networks already (young population, I know there are many broadband subscribers).

Consequently, I think interference might be an issue. I'm leaning now towards this one:

It is an 802.11a/b/g + wired router, not too expensive, and it would offer me every option (including wired!).

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

MIMO is NOT 802.11n! MIMO is a technique to get higher bandwidth and/or better range, just like 802.11n. There are no n devices yet, AFAIK. Both parties have to support MIMO to be able to use it, IIRC. I don't know if different manufacturers are compatible with one another (they should be if they use the same chipsets). Since MIMO only stands for Multiple Input Multiple Output, there might be different, incompatible implementations of the idea. They would of course still be compatible for plain 802.11a/b/g.
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Just reviving this thread, as I think I might have the better option for me...
                          Zyxel is a networking industry leader, deeply rooted in various network technology areas. We prioritize customer-centric product design, and focus on a superior competitive advantage, driving communication technology forward to meet the internet’s evolving demands.

I have no wireless network at home, but I forgot that I also don't have a wireless network in my office (only wired, but even that was a stretch) nor at my parents place.

A USB stick would easily be carried with me, thus giving me network in all of these locations...
                          (not sure yet, but atm I think this is the most versatile solution for me)
                          And the fact that the Zyxel is a wififinder can also be convenient.

Any comments on Zyxel?

Jörg
                          Last edited by VJ; 14 February 2006, 08:43.
                          pixar

Comment

Cool product with the integrated finder. I use an Asus WL-167G USB stick. It comes with a neato adapter that allows it (or any other USB stick) to turn upwards and/or sideways, like an antenna.
                            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                            X