Windows 95 vs. Windows 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nehalmistry:

It is buggier than regular Win98, because it has been hacked and ripped and tweaked and whatnot. However, I have HEARD it is not noticeably buggy enough to be concerned about.

Note that I say HEARD... number one, no Win9x OS will ever curse my hard drive again. Number two, when I tried Win98 Lite it was utter buggy shit (admittedly last fall...)

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

HOLY SHIT(pardon my french) i tried this program and it did wonders for me when i set it to win95 mode.... my computer runs MUCH MUCH FASTER.... i would recommend this program to everyone i know...

thankyou technoid and others for recomending it.. problem solved := )
      <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
      VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
      Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
      128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
      Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
      Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
      Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
      Realtek 8029A NIC Card
      Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
      Actima 36X CD-Rom
      Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
      Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
      Windows 2000 (primary)
      Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

one more thing... i found that this program made my mouse pointer MUCH more smoother than it was before....
        <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
        VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
        Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
        128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
        Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
        Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
        Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
        Realtek 8029A NIC Card
        Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
        Actima 36X CD-Rom
        Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
        Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
        Windows 2000 (primary)
        Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

Andrei:

No argument with the big boys about buggy operations on 98 Lite, I have simply had none myself. But I'd say any program that rips into the registry and deletes all kinds of stuff (you wouldn't BELIEVE how much trash is planted in there) would be risky at best when running it over the top of an already trashed up system, which begins of course, the moment you start installing programs into the OS.

My experience has been absolutely trouble free with this proggy, I suspect because of the "clean install" option.

GURM: My W98 takes up 70 mb and is stable as a ROCK! Hell, I can't even crash Netscape. The only BSOD's I've seen in the last year happened when installing Matrox drivers and trying to coax 3d out of my old SS7 board. The old 95 explorer is CLEARLY faster as a file navigator. In fact, no one but me even knows I'm running 98 since the desktop and file navigator are exactly the same as my old 95. Busmastering, USB, and the Driver base are FAR superior in 98 than 95.

In my experience, most of the stability problems everyone complains about in '98 are MS's own fault.

------------------
          AMD K6III 400 @ 426 On a SOYO SY5EMA M/B. Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, Promise Ultra 66 Controller
          two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner,
          All stuffed into a Mid-tower ATX case with no device slots left!
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Latest RC2 works well on even w98 systems that has been "Trash" registry hacked!

The only problem with using an older version of explorer.exe is the problem with a bigger file sizes.
            ex:
            If i capture 12 1.99 GB avi files and try to mark and move them att the same time explorer freaks out.

------------------
            INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
            G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
            SBlive
            192 MB RAM CAS2
            43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
            Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
            SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
            X