Speculation: The Future of Surround Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: The Future of Surround Gaming

Would it be nice, if Matrox would release a dual-GPU Parhelia for the Surround Gaming enthusiasts? I have spent over 1600 euros/dollars for my LCD monitors so far. I could easily spend another 500-600 for a graphic card that would (almost) double the performance.

How many of you guys would buy one, if it was fully DX9(+) compatible?
    I would.
    Yes, definitely!
    0%
    Most likely.
    0%
    No. It's too expensive/large/power-consuming etc.
    0%

While I do really like some of the features of the parhelia, it is still way to expensive and very underpowered, even if they did dual GPU. The power usage of matrox cards has never really be excessive, so I don't think that will be an issue.

I am thinking SLI powered surround gaming is a more appealing prospect , eg NV or possibly ATI. eg twin SLI 6600gts are cheaper and faster than a parhelia.

Comment

But aren't the outputs of the second card working in SLI mode disabled?

Comment

Perhaps, but it is an interesting way of thinking: a different card for every monitor; the more displays you want, the more cards you'll have to get (in extremis). It would be nicer if they could manage 2 heads per card.

(the same poll is on Matrox forum )
        Still, personally, I don't care *how* speed is achieved in a card: whether they use multiple GPUs, or new architecture.
        However, as the Parhelia is already one of the slower cards for gaming, I would hope they are working on new architectures.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
          the same poll is on Matrox forum
          Yep, I put it on both forums, just in case...

Comment

I said "most likely" because I sort of expect matrox to charge USD899 for it... I don't believe much in a P-MAXX, I just wish they'd get a solution to use more than one card in the system, now that we have PCI-E (we don't even need 16x)...

Comment

It will never happen. They don't even have the brain power to make the PCI-e Parhelia work right.

Matrox has given up on Joe Consumer.
              We will not see anything remotely resembling a gaming card from them..
              Game over.
              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                It will never happen. They don't even have the brain power to make the PCI-e Parhelia work right.

Matrox has given up on Joe Consumer.
                We will not see anything remotely resembling a gaming card from them..
                Game over.
                that really sucks.
                terrible to see a company with so much promise blow it.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I thought they still had enough "brain power" to do it. Matrox has released so many Parhelia variants lately. Only couple of days ago they announced "Parhelia DL256 PCI" card for Apple 30" monitors.

Are you telling me, that this card (for example) has been ready for the release several months ago and they haven't done any development since then??

Comment

Next thing you know, M will so get into niche markets that you'll be able to special order a new P revision for the HTPC you have in your living room...

Comment

Working...
                    X