Boop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
    Make me feel like a newbie here. Since 2001, thought it was like 1999? I wasn't even on the web in 1993.
    My memory is messed up 😅 i did my Polytechnic studies twice, first in 1993 and went back again in 1999 so it should be nearer to 1999 as around that time i was helping my Polytechnic friend from 1993 batch (hence my memory is jumbled up a bit) with issues with his Matrox Millennium II and the solution that worked was in MURC and i was lurking from then and joined in late 2000. My sincere apologies

BTW in 1993 we had BBSes around the world and it was kinda like the web, just a tad slower, you can finish your breakfast before a jpg of Raquel Welch finishes loading up.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

It is amazing how time passes... Just the other day, Facebook reminded me of a post where I announced I was moving to Spain for two years. That was back in 2016...
      I've already worked longer in Poland than I did in Belgium... And so many things just feel the same... Weird...

I remember the dial-up times... My first home internet was via my father's computer (he had 4 computers in a Novell network for a small business, three of those were diskless computers that booted dos via a remote boot), and I actually had a long coax network cable to connect to his network (two floors down), which had a 9600 baud modem. Later we moved and then I had a phone-line which allowed me my direct connection at 56K! I still have the modem (and use it in lessons to demonstrate communication with devices: students are often surprised that you send commands to a device and it responds or changes a state). For the demonstration it does not matter if it is a modem on rs232 or an inverter on rs485: the idea is the same. Sad thing is that I cannot fully demonstrate it any more as we do not have telephone connections at work (everything is IP based) and I haven't bothered with wiring up some simulation device - but I can demonstrate enough (I can make the leds change status, make it beep, dial and return stored numbers). Still, I'm still amazed by the fact that I know have a 300 Mbit fibre-optic connection, and that is the lowest offering of my provider.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I hadn't been here for a couple of months and seeing I always started at forums.murc.ws I was beginning to panic until I realised that murc.ws was always there as the starting point...Whilst we are getting nostalgic, I registered back in 1996 when I bought my first PC, A Pentium 150 with an 8MB Matrox Millennium 2D Card....hardly ever posted, as you can tell from my post count but I was here pretty much every day until probably 7-8 years ago and then the checking became less and less and then kinda stopped until I remember that I hadn't done it for a while. This place was the home of my internet family for so long it's not funny. It's nice to see that there are still a lot of names that come back here every now and then
        ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Belwarrior View Post
          BTW in 1993 we had BBSes around the world and it was kinda like the web, just a tad slower
          Yeah, I just did not have the money to use dial-up seriously when in high-school (so until 1987 when BBSses where already around for some years), especially abroad. And when I got a bit of money I didn't have the time (work, gf, study) and it was still way expensive. I got cable internet, a whopping 1.5Mb/128Kb/s down/up in end 1997 (was it 1997, I am pretty sure it was, early adopter) which was a life-safer. Sure, it was expensive but never on a meter and thus cheaper.
          Delany, same, though I check here more often than you do I think.

Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Interesting... I remember that in Belgium there was an internet provider "tijd.be", related to a weekly business magazine, that offered free numbers for internet dial-up. So that made using internet quite cheap, but you needed the equipment at home and you needed to manage to dial in. I even had my first email with them, and I remember at one point using my Psion 5mx connected via irda to a mobile phone to achieve a dial-up (this was more expensive, but I needed mail access urgent).
            My parents got faster internet somewhere around 2000, I never got fast internet in my flat when I was living near the university (after studying) as I had 24h access to the labs and my own computer there; I felt internet was too expensive and for a long while I managed without internet, until I got a cheap 3G connection. My first fixed internet connection was in Poland...
            Last edited by VJ; 14 November 2023, 03:26.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Today I have finally emerged out of the bronze age of ADSL and ascended to fiber optic internet.
              Oh and my first Matrox was a Millenium sometime in 1996.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

ON THE PC I started with a Mystique and ran all the way through the RT cards. I'd been using Amigas before that, and still have some working ones.

The kids have grown and started families, a grandson is courting some hussy who wants to reel him in (she's actually quite nice, studying geology), and we are in Cruise mode.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Man, I wish I still had the A1000 (that was actually my brothers').
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I had several Amigas ranging from the 500 to the 4000, too equipped with Video Toasters, I believe today you can run AmigOS as a layer in Windoze, iOS, and Linux.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                    X