AICN reports on Avengers, others @ Disney expo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AICN reports on Avengers, others @ Disney expo

AICN report from the Disney 23 expo's The Avengers panel presentation....

Other upcoming Disney film panel reports at the same link....

THE AVENGERS (May 4, 2012)

Kevin Feige receives a warm welcome from the D23 audience, and further earns their respect by name-dropping noted Imagineer Tony Baxter. Smooth.

Feige wastes no time giving the crowd what they want - if what they wanted was a tense confrontation between Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston). At this point in THE AVENGERS, Loki is being held in a cylindrical containment pod somewhere in S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Helicarrier (this cell is strong enough to hold the Hulk, so Loki's goin' nowhere). After demonstrating for Loki what will happen if he acts up (the pod will be ejected, subjecting Loki to a perilous - if not fatal for a god - 30,000-foot drop), Fury lashes into Loki for threatening Earth with war and killing "for fun". Fury is desperate. Loki responds by taunting Fury with the "real power" of the tesseract. Finished with this conversation, Fury walks away and mutters "Let me know if 'real power' wants a magazine or something." It's not a mindblowingly great scene, but it's well-written and directed. So far, so good.

We then get an action-filled montage crosscut with a Stark/Loki confrontation from later in the film. Stark, in his insouciant way, gives Loki a "head count", letting the god know that he's up against two master assassins, a demigod, a living legend "who lives up to the legend", etc. Then comes the above-quoted exchange.

Loki: "I have an army."
    Tony Stark: "We have a Hulk."

The audience erupts. Then Feige introduces most of The Avengers (Chris Evans is absent) and Loki. Now the audience is on their feet. Robert Downey Jr. takes the microphone and asks if they'd like to see the footage again. They do. And so with a "See you next year", the footage is replayed and the Walt Disney Studios D23 showcase comes to an end.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X