Ares I-X fails load test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares I-X fails load test

Ares 1-X is a test flight of the booster for the Orion spacecraft slated for April 2009.

Many think it's more show than go, in other words a PR opportunity to boost Congressional
    support, but nevertheless it's to be launched with a dummy 2nd stage and dummy Orion
    and so an opportunity to test the interstage structures etc.

If true those who looked at the Ares I and thought it might snap in two between the
    stages at launch because the bottom is much smaller in diameter than the top may have
    been right. Image of the Ares I test configurations and a size comparison of the Ares family
    to the Saturn V and Shuttle system below.

The post speaks for itself;

A troubling post on NasaSpaceFlight.com .....
    kraisee

Expert

I've been able to confirm from CxP sources that a test occurred earlier this month
    on some dynamic load hardware planned for Ares-I-X - and that the test failed.

It appears to be either the InterStage or the Forward Frustum for the SRB which was
    undergoing load tests, and that the unit in the test failed structurally while only experiencing
    "nominal" flight load conditions - not even while experiencing the extra-high loads which
    testing would usually expect to safely push such hardware to so as to ensure the required
    additional safety margins.

I'm trying to get clearer information at present (difficult with everyone on vacation!) so wanted
    to ask on here for any information from the many folk reading these forums to help shed some
    light on this.

I do find it interesting that such a failure occurred in precisely the location folk inside Constellation
    have been warning about here on NSF for a year and a half though. Being such a "known" issue,
    you'd think they would have made it strong enough by now in time for physical testing prior to test flight...

Ross.
    NOTE: images of astronauts not to scale as the Ares I is over 350 feet tall. They indicate manned flights.

Also; the PA 'filghts' are tests of the launch abort tower.

Size comparison. Ares IV is not 'real'; it was an early concept for mixed cargo & crew.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 December 2007, 00:41.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X