No announcement yet.

Harddisk and filesystem matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just what part of MP3's would stress out a reiserfs filesystem? MP3's, when played, are read from the hard drive at a stagering rate of 16K per second.

In fact, I have NEVER had any problems with reiserfs and large files. XFS probably would be better if you regularly create, copy and process massive files (> 100meg), but reiserfs is pretty good for everything else and is included with the standard 2.4 kernels.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

i didn't say ReiserFS isn't good, it is actually very good. i think i do some uncommon stuff with my mp3s that other users dont (sfv'ing and indexing a lot), so that was probably a bad example. it was actually developed for video streaming/processing.
      and you don't run into any problems even with large files in ReiserFS, but i you want that extra performance for your large files try XFS.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

What about Ext3 ?

I've tried ReiserFS, and it got very slow when my disk got near 100% filled. Almost only files on it that were several 100Mbytes in size.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
          I've tried ReiserFS, and it got very slow when my disk got near 100% filled. Almost only files on it that were several 100Mbytes in size.
          that sounds like xfs was just designed for you seriously, give it a chance. it is not in the official kernel yet so you'll have to apply the xfs-patch.

ext3 is basically ext2. i had ext3 as my / before i changed to ReiserFS. i couldn't tell a performance difference between ext2/ext3 but ext3 is supposed to be a bit slower.
          the killer argument for ext3 is that you can upgrade from your old ext2 partition on the fly. tune2fs -j /dev/hdx will create the journal file (/.journal), then change ext2 in /etc/fstab to ext3 or auto and thats it. another advantage is that ext3 partitions are backwards compatible, you can mount ext3 as ext2.
          Last edited by thop; 1 May 2002, 16:05.

Comment

to sum up:

ReiserFS is the fastest for 90% of all tasks.
            ext2 is the oldest
            ext3 is ext2 with journaling, a bit slower.
            xfs is the the fastest for special tasks (I/O intensive) and is true 64bit.
            Last edited by thop; 1 May 2002, 16:02.

Comment

I'm on ReiserFS for a really long time (started at 2.2.x kernels with patches), a nd now it seems to be rock solid. If u need repartiononign, use LVM and Reiser over it. On-the-fly shrinking/growing works great and can be really usefull.

And for music, i use /home partition.

BTW just now are the Reiser team working on speedup patches for 2.4.19-pre7...as the fs seems to be stable.

Comment

Working...
              X