well, you know the saying:
    once you go slack, you never go back

btw, slackware 8.1 will require a bootdisk and
    5 rootdisks to install, it seems they can't
    compress the root images any more, because
    it will span over several disks

i don't understand why they can't use the old
    install system, nice n easy, 2 disks (well i just
    install slack using loadlin from DOS anyways)

i hope they do something about it and shrink it
    down to 1 rootdisk disk again
    With bootable cd's this simply doesn't matter

If you can't boot the cd, you simply create a lilo boot disk and boot the slackware cd from it
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

i dont have a burner, and i don't want to buy CD...

anyways, i like slackware 8.0, and i will use for a
      long time... it does the job for me, and if i need
      any upgrades, i just make the packages myself

thats one thing good about linux, if u want to
      run a new program on an old distro, just update
      any libraries you need to, and it should work
      <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
      VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
      Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
      128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
      Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
      Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
      Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
      Realtek 8029A NIC Card
      Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
      Actima 36X CD-Rom
      Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
      Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
      Windows 2000 (primary)
      Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Comment

one thing i like about FreeBSD and Gentoo is the ability to install a program and if it needs newer libs it will go and get them and compile them.
        You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Just my 2 cents....

I cut my Linux teeth on Slackware.... I've almost outgrown it, and I'm getting into Linux From Scratch.

AlgoRhythm

Comment

I cut my unix teeth on SCO Unix 3.2v2.0 in 1991. I have however since become a gui wuss and prefer a nice easy linux like Mandrake 8.2 which runs great on my hardware, with a minimum of fuss or need to *argh* recompile. I even had drivers for my conexant winmodem. In fact my Logitech quickcam express worked fine in 8.2 which is more than I can say for it under XP.
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Slackware Rocks!

Hi,

Like AlgoRhythm, I learned Linux using Slackware. And this was back in the 1.2 kernel days.
              I think that Slackware is a good starting point to learn Linux because it forces you to learn how to
              do everything from the shell and not from a gui. It really is useful to have the knowledge about
              where the config files are for everything, how to automatically startup programs on boot, etc.

But then again, I love to tinker with computers and OSes. Jumping in without much of a safety
              net is the way I like to do it, but it isn't for everyone.

I've also used RedHat and Mandrake at work. They are nice if you are looking to get up and
              running quickly. But they hide a lot of setup work behind the gui's. Again, just my Slack
              bias coming through.

I would DEFINITELY recommend that you get the O'Reilly & Associates ( www.oreilly.com )
              "Running Linux" book for your distro. I used it to get started and I think everyone trying to learn
              Linux should have it for reference.

Just my US$0.02 ( which isn't worth much these days )

-WxDude;

Comment

I understand that the setup and such for GUI based distros does a lot of leg work for the user, so initial config isn't as controlled. That doesn't mean that once things are setup the user can't do things through shell and do changes without the GUI, right?
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I havn't seen the gui for redhat in about 2 months. its very rare I go into it. Mostly i ssh into the server and change what I need

Dan
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Tnt wrote:
                    I understand that the setup and such for GUI based distros does a lot of leg work for the user, so initial config isn't as controlled. That doesn't mean that once things are setup the user can't do things through shell and do changes without the GUI, right?
                    Correct, once things are set up, you can access the files and change configs from the shell and not
                    use the gui. I just found it harder to figure out what file was changed by which gui under RedHat than
                    Slackware where you had to change the files from the shell. Like you said, the gui does a lot of legwork
                    for the user, but if you don't know what file is being changed by the gui, then how can you edit it by
                    hand later?

Sasq:
                    I havn't seen the gui for redhat in about 2 months. its very rare I go into it. Mostly i ssh into the server and change what I need
                    Me too. Here at work I do a lot of work with RedHat systems. I almost never go into the
                    gui's myself. But for a new linux user learning to setup a system and finding out what does what,
                    I think the gui's can be as much a hindrance as a help.

-Wx

Comment

WxDude, I see that makes sense.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Problem is the average Joe doesn't want to mess around editing files they want a point and click interface. If lunix never gets over this it will never challange microshaft as a desktop alternative.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

sorry, redhat has a gui???

I cut my *IX teeth on a combination of solaris 2.6 and redhat 4.x

C
                          You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

For beginner - I really think that you should use SuSE. But if you wish more stability - use Slackware. I'am using unix for 5 years and my prefered os is FreeBSD - try it. It's easy to install, secure and very, very fast .
                            Abit KG7-Raid
                            AMD Athlon 1,4 GHz
                            256 DDR 2100
                            Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32 Mb
                            17 " ViewSonic P70f
                            15 Gb Maxtor 5400/2 Mb ATA 100
                            CD-ROM Teac 32x
                            FreeBSD/Win2k

Comment

FreeBSD is only easy to install in some cases.

I tried to install FreeBSD onto one of my logical partitions, but the setup insisted I create the disk slice using primary partitions. So freeBSD is still on a CD waiting install.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Ok - PDP11/70 Unix from 1984 on. And lots of variations thereafter.

humm, a Slack user from the time when it was the only distro .. save the odd other manchester based one.

how many here remember kernel 0.99pl15f - I hope there is someone whos longer in the Linux tooth than me.

As for which. The media world seem to think that RedHat IS Linux! Arseholes. It isnt bad, but its not perfect.

Slackware is. It needs very few upgrades, is supported by a HUGE community of expert Linuxers, and hell, Ive got boxes that run with it for years on end (literally). My record is a server (file/web/Db/mail) running for 390 days - then cleaning woman'ed.

I have on 7.1 Slack box stretching into 290 days ... work that out from release date.

Cotroversial bob.
                                Last edited by bobby2; 9 June 2002, 08:45.
                                G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

Working...
                                X