No announcement yet.

Samba bollcocked on RH 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll have to wait till I get back to work to find which programs doing what not quiet right.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Cured the work one as well. The samba password file had gone west.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Oh spoke to soon Nautilus only works if you logged on as root. So what files do I need to alter permissions too. Man nautilus does nothing of course.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Do you mean that Nautilus won't work at all, or just won't access SAMBA shares?

Do you get any error if you try to start it from a shell as a regular user?

Comment

Logged on as root it works without any trouble. Log on as a normal user you get something like cannot load smb:///
            It then continues to sulk. Before I recreated the samba password file it would work after a few tries. I'm at home now so I can't tell you the extact message. I thought I copied the error into a message earlier. I must have been called to help someone out and forgot to post it sorry.
            Xmsbrowser works perfectly though.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Heres the error message Nautilus cannot display smb:///
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have Nautilus installed, and it's been a really long time since I used it. I can't find any decent documentation on http://www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus

You could always try upgrading to the latest version. If you're lucky, it might be a bug in the version you're using.

Comment

Aw you're letting the side down.

To be honest I can't remember installing it either but found it quite useful until now. I'll try the upgrade tomorrow.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ran into the old linux problem. Incorrect instructions on how to install in the instructions. Chucked it into wastebasket can't arsed to mess around like that.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, that's more of a "lazy programmers projects" problem, not a "linux problem" in general. I can, with a straight face, say that none of the applications I use has inadequate installation or usage instructions.

Comment

Oh found a few over the years.

The most common ones are over tarballs and they forget to tell you the command to unpack it or tell you the wrong command. No longer a problem these days as most distros let you unpack it by clicking on it.

Openoffice is a good balls up. Got version one so I pop over to the website to get the latest update. Follow all the instructions and does it update version one?
                        Nope. You now got two versions. The old one that runs and the new one that doesn't.

The other good one is. Do you want a shortcut to your KDE desktop or Gnome desktop. Err yes. Expect that the install doesn't do it. Leaving you to find the programme yourself if you can and do the shortcut yourself.

Just sloppy like you say.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X