OT - Open access to Scientific Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Open access to Scientific Publications

I figure those into open source should be into open information too.

Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Excellent

Comment

I like this comment in the article:

The PLoS plan is simple in concept: Instead of having readers pay for scientific results through subscriptions or other charges, costs would be borne by the scientists who are having their work published -- or, practically speaking, by the government agencies or other groups that funded the scientists -- through upfront charges of about $1,500 an article.
      Depending on the journal, scientists can easily pay that amount now to have the articles published, plus a few hundred more to get reprints that need to be submitted with grants. And journals published in the US used to (I didn't find any 2003 articles but in 2002 the blurb was there) add this:

The publication costs of this article were defrayed in part by page charge payment. This article must therefore be hereby marked “advertisement” in accordance with 18 U.S.C. §1734 solely to indicate this fact.

To top it off in order for the articles to be published the copyright for the paper is given to the journal. Therefore, if you want to revise a drawing of a proposed model based on the research permission has to be granted from the first publisher.

dshumake

Comment

Working...
      X