Linux and clustering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux and clustering

Anyone here know anything about setting up 2 different machines in a load balanced cluster under Linux?
    Bart

I don't, but go and look up MOSIX and see if that's what you want.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Are you using a specific distro made for clusering or just a vanilla linux?.

Comment

I haven't done anything yet, and I'm open to suggestions on what distro to use (I don't care which as long as it works. My friend is setting up a dedicated game server on a low-end Athlon; I thought that after my next CPU/RAM/board upgrade, I could build another PC around my old guts and somehow add this to the game server via clustering.
        Bart

Comment

mosix is worth looking at

I was going to say mandrake had clustering distro...but I can't find any details...anyway the mandrake one is called CLIC, but it may be an enerprise thing..

I have not done any clustering...etc but I would be interested in finding out what you turn up..

Comment

I know it won't be easy. From what I've seen on clustering from a big server enterprise level, its VERY complex. On some flavours of Unix, its easier than others. HPUX for example is MUCH easier to cluster with their software (MC ServiceGuard I think?) than Solaris is (with SunCluster software). If setting up a Linux cluster is anywhere near comparable to Solaris clustering, I wouldn't even try it. So I'm guessing that this *might* not be worth the trouble to set up, but more research is in order before I make that call. But what a learning experience it would be. Decisions decsions. And now that I just upgraded to a P4 2.6/800, I have this 1.8G P4 + 512DDR just waiting to have something done with it.
            Bart

Comment

Clustering is not really worth it unless you have special custom applications designed around it.
              no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

Originally posted by thop
                Clustering is not really worth it unless you have special custom applications designed around it.
                I beg to differ. MOSIX really is "fork and forget", from the users point of view. It's really easy to set up (takes about 5 minutes if you read, understand and follow the on-screen installation instructions), and it's a breeze to work/play with. It even has its own shared filesystem (MFS) for easy migration of tasks which are set up to crunch numbers in/for a separate file.

For example, let's say you have 3 MOSIX-nodes running, and you wish to use mencoder to convert three MPEG1-streams lying on node 1 to AVI/MPEG4 and save them on node 2, it's as easy as running this:

Code:
                runon 1 mencoder -o /mfs/2/home/thop/avis/movie1.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1200 /mfs/1/home/thop/mpegs/movie1.mpg
                runon 2 mencoder -o /mfs/2/home/thop/avis/movie2.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1200 /mfs/1/home/thop/mpegs/movie2.mpg
                runon 3 mencoder -o /mfs/2/home/thop/avis/movie3.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1200 /mfs/1/home/thop/mpegs/movie3.mpg
                With a minimum of fuss, all three nodes are now being used to their fullest extent. MOSIX can/will (depends on how you set it up) also auto-migrate proceses between nodes, so if you decide to run all three instances of mencoder on a single node, depending on your likings, MOSIX will distribute them evenly across the cluster.

Now, in all fairness, it will not migrate threads, so multi-threaded applications has no use of MOSIX, so it's not the end all be all of clustering, but it's a great tool if you want to connect your computers quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  mosix is worth looking at

I was going to say mandrake had clustering distro...but I can't find any details...anyway the mandrake one is called CLIC, but it may be an enerprise thing..

I have not done any clustering...etc but I would be interested in finding out what you turn up..

I am in the process of installing CLIC. However, I have been experiencing difficulties (mainly because of hardware incompatibilities).
                  As you stated, it is very difficult to find any documentation regarding this software; there isn't much info on http://clic.mandrakesoft.com/index-en.html. Does anyone know of any other online resources that may aid in installation?
                  Also, has anyone had success installing it?
                  Last edited by linuxgeek20; 6 August 2004, 12:31.

Comment

, does anyone know any clustering software that would be suitable for a High Availability cluster?

Comment

Carrier Grade Linux (if there's ever a distribution that meets the requirements)

- Steve

Comment

Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!
                        Bart

Comment

It was only "mostly dead"

- Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X