Linux Lunacy Linus ... Linterview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Lunacy Linus ... Linterview

Last month, Geekcruises' Linux Lunacy cruise to Alaska proved that Linux and Open Source are hot enough topics to even warm up Northern waters. The feature of the trip was a candid Q&A; with Linux creator Linus Torvalds. Courtesy of GeekCruises Capt. Neil Bauman and Senior Editor of Linux Journal Doc Searles, OET brings our readers an extended transcript of Linus' shipboard Q&A;, where he responds to Linux dev questions on the future of Linux, including the status of Linux 2.6, impacts from increasing corporate (and vendor) adoption, an ever-growing kernel, and even on the pending lawsuit from SCO. Geekcruises Capt. Neil

A pretty thorough interview covering a whole array of topics; Torvalds is quotable as usual.

software patents
    Instead of even trying to see if there is a middle ground. Which means that the discussion itself is not worthwhile. That's my problem with it. I don't think you should be asked to polarize this issue. Because as long as we just have this gut reaction — Software patents are bad — it's not going to help us discuss the issue with people who have this other gut reaction of, I am greedy.

2.6 kernel
    A lot of people want to polish it for 2.6. And the thing is, we don't want it polished. We want it solid as a rock. And it is okay to be scruffy-looking like a rock too. But it has to be solid.

QT and KDE framework
    I don't get involved very much. I used to send a lot of bug reports to the KDE people, until I didn't have bugs anymore and I stopped.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan
Working...
X