Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 11.10 hangs during update

Hello,

A friend of mine has this annoying problem: we can install Kubuntu 11.10 without problems on her computer, it detects some updates, but hangs when updating them. We suspect it might be related to the plasma desktop updates, but cannot seem to find the culprit of the freeze. Basically, the updating program hangs, so killing this one brings back the computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Not sure if this would help but try this from console:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -f

Comment

Yes try from console:

su -
      apt-get update
      apt-get upgrade

Also is your /etc/apt/sources.list OK?

Recently I slapped KDE 4 on Debian 6 and it's a nice machine (I did minimum text install, then apt-get install kde xorg). What is used for updating from desktop in Kubuntu? I remember in SuSE around version 10 zypper crashed and resolution was to delete and let it rebuild database.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 12 April 2012, 14:25.

Comment

Sorry, I lost track of the thread.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a go...

It is quite annoying for a clean out-of-the-box system to behave like this. Probabely related is that the packagemanager refuses to install packages as it claims another instance is busy...
        pixar

Comment

If package manager doesn't work grep process and send it kill 15.

Comment

I haven't tried the first suggestion yet...

Problem is that I can't find the process for the packagemanager that is locking it...
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X