Two endorsements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two endorsements

The first is Elementary OS just a nice linux distro. Give it a try.

Next, Oracle Linux (honestly). They finally made their repos public. Great server OS. Not bad desktop if you want a vanilla linux.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
    The first is Elementary OS just a nice linux distro. Give it a try.

Next, Oracle Linux (honestly). They finally made their repos public. Great server OS. Not bad desktop if you want a vanilla linux.
    Oracle is basically RedHat. RedHat is really nice, I really like it. There's also scientific Linux and CentOS, which are RedHat based. Fedora has too short update cycle to be usable for a server.

Comment

We use Oracle Linux to host our Oracle databases. They have an optional kernel that is optimized for that purpose.
      And we use CentOS on our backup server (as in baking up the other servers). For backup software we use Arkeia.

I have a bunch of Linux VMs at home, right now my favorite is Elementary.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have my son using Elementary OS. Much faster than using Ubuntu on his old laptop and easier to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Haig View Post
          I have my son using Elementary OS. Much faster than using Ubuntu on his old laptop and easier to navigate.
          Which DE is in Elementary. Design of website looks well.

Comment

Originally posted by utwigmu View Post
            which de is in elementary. Design of website looks well.
            de?

Comment

Originally posted by Haig View Post
              de?
              Desktop Environment (KDE/Gnome/Unity/Cinammon/LXDE...)

Or are you one of those greybeards, who find the desktop unnecessary luxury.

Comment

It's Gnome based, but you won't recognize it. I think a lot of it is done in GTK+
                Still researching it.

It's called Pantheon :http://elementaryos.org/journal/meet-me-pantheon

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon
                Last edited by cjolley; 29 October 2013, 09:51.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  Or are you one of those greybeards, who find the desktop unnecessary luxury.
                  Just one of those greybeards that likes a simple desktop and Pantheon is a simple & lightweight as they come.

Comment

I still use Ubuntu. Once you get into its groove, its sticky. I have my parents on it even.

Oh, BTW, I is back
                    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Here Pantheon stands for some accounting / ERP app that is major POS and PITTA and has high market share. It gives me nightmares (I have to maintain the servers it's running on).

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                        Here Pantheon stands for some accounting / ERP app that is major POS and PITTA and has high market share. It gives me nightmares (I have to maintain the servers it's running on).
                        It wouldn't, by any chance, be a Netherlands based company would it?
                        Answered: Nope, not the one I was thinking of.

PS Hey RedRed, long time no see.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

What POS and PITTA could be from the Netherlands?
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
                            What POS and PITTA could be from the Netherlands?
                            LOL. Actually, I have no experience with them. Just very little trust of the re-seller that want's replace our current accounting software with theirs.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                            X