Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 6600GT and linux issues

Hello,

Some time ago, I tried to install linux (Kubuntu 14.04 LTS) on an older system that has a GeForce 6600GT. Everything appeared fine, but there seemed to be issues with redrawing the screen in kde. Parts of windows stayed, line artefacts showed up, etc. I've tried different linux versions, and Linux Mint 17 did not have such issues. This made me think it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue.
    While linux mint is nice, the downside is that it does not allow for an easy upgrade to the next version (basically, you have to reinstall it).

At the time, I did not try with the official nVidia binary drivers, I just used the ones that came with Kubuntu. On internet, I cannot seem to find anything about such issues with a 6600GT, so I am thinking of trying again with Kubuntu and then getting the linux drivers. Perhaps a strange question, but is anyone here aware of such issues with the GeForce 6600GT, and if so, would it solve it?

Thanks,

Jorg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

The progress in OSS drivers is substantial, so I would suggest to use a recent desktop oriented distro if you will go with OSS drivers (nouveau). Also 16.04 LTS is just around the corner, you can try a daily build.

Also I would recommend to try closed source nVidia drivers in Kubuntu (for distros I use there is usually a guide on how to install).
    Also since you seem to like KDE, try OpenSUSE. There is a leap 42.1 version out now which has core based on SUSE Enterprise with desktop stuff from rolling tumbleweed release. I tried it on T420s thinkpad (i7, nVidia) and it was nice. I had no problem playing Half Life 2 demo installed from steam. I did select discrete and disabled hybrid graphics in the BIOS.
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 March 2016, 08:36.

Comment

The problem with the 6600GT seemed to occur rather with later drivers. It mainly was an issue in KDE, but the latest Lubuntu at that time also had issues. Linux Mint seemed to play nice.

I will first finish configuring one computer, and then try again with Kubuntu.

The computers are not mine, I'm helping out my girlfriend's parents. They don't mind KDE, but for their usage, every OS that has a start-menu like interface suffices. The Linux Mint is really nice (and they like it), but upgrading is more problematic, which is why I want to change the OS on that one computer again. I will look at OpenSuse as well...

Thanks!
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X