Parhelia Reef Demo & FRAPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by az
    Thop: In the case of the fr-08 and fr-19 demos, one of the reasons surely is that space was one of the main concrens, and simple techno "music" can easily be done by a midi-like system, which is then sampled in real-time. Another reason would be that it kinda fits the trippy looks of those demos. Oh, and computer geeks have no taste

AZ
    fr-08 used 800MB of audio data if I rememberd the end text correctly!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru

fr-08 used 800MB of audio data if I rememberd the end text correctly!
      I think the keyword would rather be, they generated 800MB of raw audio data, then add the visuals to that and be stunned how they packed it all into 64KB !!!

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Basically, they are just astounding.

This reminds me of Braben and Bell's original Elite on the BBC - very tight coding, which (iirc) generated galaxies using some sort of algorithm and a non-random seed. V. impressive.

I'd guess the textures here are being generated form fractals somehow?

gnep
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Uhmmm.... Elite
          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Have a look at www.newkind.co.uk for a bit of retro action... this brought back loads of memories!

gnep

Comment

ontopic

my reefdemo +fraps results :
              Minimum FPS : 25
              Maximum FPS : 51
              Average FPS : 34.5
              STdev:5.7

Specs :
              P4 1.8@2.4
              1x 512 MB PC2700 @ 187 mhz
              Parhelia 128R 1.0.4.231
              Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

ok last results where only one loop

these are the results running it 30 mins

Minimum FPS : 24
                Maximum FPS : 49
                Average FPS : 32.96
                STdev:5.17
                Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Hmmm... those are a bit lower than my t'bird. Interesting. But seems that the CPU is not a huge factor here.

I have (since the original numbers) managed to push my t-bird a bit higher. The multiplier is still locked (at the wrong setting it would seem), but with my crappy mobo I tracked down a BIOS that allows me to change the FSB. So now running at 1.265 GHz (FSB@110), up 10% on before. Looping the demo several times (10 or so), and separating the (remarkably consistent) loops out, in order to only average over complete loops, I get the following numbers:

Min: 25 (the very first one was 23, but I discounted it as it was right at the beginning of the first loop)
                  Max: 54
                  Avg: 37.4
                  St Dev: 6.2

The increase in clock appears to have raised the peaks more than the troughs

gnep

Comment

I just tried to run the reefdemo with that 3d-analyse utility, apart from a fps-counter it also has polygon-per frame-counter and an polygon per seconds-counter.
                    I must say the poly-count in the reefdemo is HUUUGE
                    it is varying between 70.000 and 180.000 polies, and it renders between 2M and 4M polies per second.

that might not sound like alot, compared to the highpoly test in 3dmark2001, but renember the these polygons are multitextured and pixelshaded/bumpmapped, and it still has the power to execute some pretty advanced vertexshader programs AND keep the average framerate above 30fps.

Im impressed.
                    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Where can we get this "3d Analyse" program?

Thanks

gnep

Comment

in the "files" section.
                        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Cool. Cheers TDB.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            Hmmm... those are a bit lower than my t'bird. Interesting. But seems that the CPU is not a huge factor here.

I have (since the original numbers) managed to push my t-bird a bit higher. The multiplier is still locked (at the wrong setting it would seem), but with my crappy mobo I tracked down a BIOS that allows me to change the FSB. So now running at 1.265 GHz (FSB@110), up 10% on before. Looping the demo several times (10 or so), and separating the (remarkably consistent) loops out, in order to only average over complete loops, I get the following numbers:

Min: 25 (the very first one was 23, but I discounted it as it was right at the beginning of the first loop)
                            Max: 54
                            Avg: 37.4
                            St Dev: 6.2

The increase in clock appears to have raised the peaks more than the troughs

gnep

I was thinking (and yes it hurts like hell ), maybe the drivers aren't optimized yet for the different cpus. And since the AMD has a better floating point unit than the standard of the P4 its faster.
                            But I am not sure if thats the reason. Maybe its normal

Which drivers did you use?

I am gonna increase the agp busspeed, see what happens

Comment

I use the public 231 drivers. I also get lower 3dMarks than you (about 6150). When I am back with my machine towards the end of the month, we should do some comparisons with real games!

Comment

Working...
                              X