64MB PC100 RAM
    SoundBlaster AWE64
    PC-DVD Dxr3
    BEST 33.6 Modem

SW:
    Win98 OSR2 (includes DirectX 6.1e
    MB BIOS: K6BVP0805 (latest)
    RRS BIOS V1.5 (came installed)
    MATROX GRAPHICS/MGA POWERDESK V4.31 (Latest)
    RRS V2.10 drivers (Latest)

Has anyone else had problems w/Win98 OSR2 & RRS?

After reformatting the C: drive & reinstalling Win98 & drivers from scratch, I've narrowed the problem down to beginning as soon as the V4.31 graphics drivers are installed (but not the RRS drivers) & the system restarted.

Simple things will cause the system to lock up & the only recovery is the restart button or power switch. Any of the following
    will hang it up every time:

- Pressing the taskbar START button!
    - Selecting the DirectX Display tab on the System Information Tools DirectX utility.

These will frequently hang it up:
    - Windows Explorer: Opening a large folder (eg the C:\WINDOWS folder).

- Changing one of the MATROX DISPLAY PROPERTIES settings (forget which one).

All of this strongly points to installing the V4.31 MATROX graphics drivers causing problems with DirectX.

Are there any workarounds for this? H

The DirectX diagnostic tool flags two mga..
    drivers as not being MS certified.
    Verell

I never tried using RR-S under my K6, but it is vital to make sure that you have the IRQ routers installed and that you have the correct EIDE drivers running. I found that the minport drivers that came with the board were good, but that the W95 EIDE drivers worked better than the supplied ones.

Comment

Hmm,
      Are you using Win95 or Win98 w/Win95 EIDE drivers? If the latter, do you have a list of the Win95 drivers?

I'm trying to get this puppy working one way or another. Last night I tried reformatting the C drive & installing Win95 OSR2 instead of Win98 in hopes of getting around the DirectX problem. No such luck, When Win95 finished install & went to restart for the 'first time' it came up with the following on the text screen.

"
      >ERROR IN IOS:
      Windows protection error, you should restart your system.
      "
      Restarting doesn't help, even resttarting in safe mode this error occurs.

Starting up with confirming each step, the error occurs when it's starting up the Windows GUI.

I stripped the system down to RRS as the only installed card & still get the problem.

If I can't get windows up, I can't install the VIA IRQ steering driver.(sigh).

Thanks for responding. - Verell
      Verell

Comment

Hi Verrell,

I don't have the AMD installed at the moment, so I can't remember how I did it at the time.

I was definitely using W95 OSR2, and I built the system from scratch including HD.

I'll see if I left myself some notes, but I'm so disorganised that I doubt it

Comment

IF you are using Win95 or Win95 OSR2 then it's likely an IOS: error is a Windows bug.

There was a patch issued for this problem some time ago.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Dr Modred,
            There's a Win95
            Here's what I found on the MS Win95 web site once I knew there was something there, I kept rephrasing the search until I got this hit:

Your search for IOS returned 2 results.
            Page 1

Windows 95 Update for AMD-K6®-2/350
            http:// www.microsoft.com / Windows95 / downloads / contents /WURecommended /S_WUServicePacks / AMDPatch / Default.asp
            1. Summary: Microsoft® Windows® 95 Update for AMD-K6®-2/350 fixes a software timing loop that is sensitive to processor frequency and is not a processor erratum.

2. Windows 95 Support:
            FAQ about Media Player
            http:// www.microsoft.com / Windows95 / support /faq/SUP95FAQMedia.asp
            Summary: Find answers to the questions people most commonly ask about Windows 95's Media Player.

Well, I bet this is it, The K6-2/450 ought to exacerbate a timing loop enven worse than the K6-2/300!!!

THANKS...
            Verell

Comment

Just finished reading the 2nd problem, the web page led to a general page on the IOS error that sounds equally applicable:

Err Msg: "IOS Failed to Initialize" on Boot

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 95
              Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 1
              Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 2
              Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 2.1

SYMPTOMS

When you restart Windows 95 after installing a program or making a configuration change to your computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. IOS failed to Initialize, Please restart

While initializing IOS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

Windows initializing device IOS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

After the error message is displayed, you may not be able to start Windows 95 normally. However, you should be able to start Windows 95 in Safe mode.

RESOLUTION
              It may also be possible to start Windows 95 normally after using the following procedure:

1.Boot Windows 95 in Safe mode or to a command prompt.

2.Perform one of the following two steps:
              Edit the Config.sys and autoexec.bat files and disable any references to Smartdrv.exe. To disable a line, type rem at the beginning of the line.

Rename Smartdrv.exe to another name.
              3.Restart your computer normally.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Windows 95 and OEM Service Releases. An update to address this problem is now available, but should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem.
              Unless you are severely impacted by this specific problem, Microsoft does not recommend implementing this update at this time. Contact Microsoft Technical Support for additional information about the availability of this update.

MORE INFORMATION

The problem occurs only on certain system configurations, and does not occur if Internet Explorer 4.0 is installed on your computer. These system configurations have a minimum of 32 MB of RAM and a large number of device drivers. The problem is rare and can occur only at startup. Users whose systems are starting successfully today are not impacted.

Additional query words: msn msnetwork

Keywords : kbenv kberrmsg osr2 win95
              Version : WINDOWS:95
              Platform : WINDOWS
              Issue type : kbprb

Well, this started when I had a full system:
              MODEM,SoundBlasterAWE32,PC-DVD Dxr3, & RRS. W/64MB & IE wasn't installed yet. Wanna bet the patch is the AMD K6-2 one??

Verell

Comment

Verell Boaen,

I have seen this before with an FIC / VIA K6 400, Win98SE. As soon as the DD is loaded the system reboots. What I did was load all the mobo drivers except the IRQ routing driver. Then I loaded the DD and only after the system was up did I load the IRQ routing driver.Ever since all work great!
                I hope this helps.

Olliver

------------------
                All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.
                All comments and statements are purely of my own opinion and in no way reflect on my employer.

Comment

Hmmm,
                  How do you control the loading order of the motherboard, display & IRQ drivers, sounds like a handy technique to have available.

I couldn't install the MS AMD Win95 IOS boot problem patch since it wants Win95 running... (catch22). Also tried renaming SMARTDRV.EXE.
                  Still couldn't coax Win95 into booting, even wouldn't come up in SAFE MODE!

Since my presumption has been that the reason my old system is working is that it's running Win98 release 1 (the Win95 upgrade). I finessed the Win95 IOS hang by installing the Win98 upgrade w/o ever bringing Win95 fully up. This Win98 version has DirectX 5.0 which is what the RRS drivers install.

At this point, the Myst220/RRS is the ONLY card in the system. It's down to the hard drive, floppy, & DVD (which is running as a CD since I haven't installed either the Dxr3 card or software).

Win98 came up fine, & loaded MGA Mystique Microsoft drivers:
                  MGAPDX64.DRV Rev. 4.1.1682
                  MGAPDX64.VXD Rev. 4.1.1689

For good measure, I restarted, then used Device Manager to install the 'Standard VGA driver'.

After the system restarted, I unpacked & installed the latest RRS compatible MGA graphics powerdesk drivers Rev. 4.31.041.

After restart, I had the $!#@$ hard hang back!

I verified that there weren't any IRQ conflicts. RRS was at IRQ 5. There were only 2-3 IRQs in use, the minimal ones (EIDE, COM..)

I then installed the VIA registry patch, IRQ steering, & EIDE drivers. then restarted.

Hang is still readily reproducable, all I have to do is to right mouse click on a blank spot on the display screen which brings up the desktop menu. Then quickly drag the mouse down the menu. The hang occurrs just as the mouse is passes beyond the end of the menu!

If you click on several things in fairly quick succession, you'll generally trigger the hang. eg:
                  START->PROGRAM->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS->System Information

has a good chance of triggeringn it along the way.

The hang is HARD! ^AltDel won't budge it. Only the reset or power button will break the system out of it!

I'm writing all this up & sending it to MATROX as well. This weekend I'm going to swap the RRS with my old system & see if the hang stays with the system or follows the RRS.
                  Verell

Comment

Verell Boaen,

I'm thinking that the problem is with the IRQ routing. With the system that I had I got the 4-1 MB Patches witch allowed the drivers to be loaded one at a time.

Have you tried different Slots for the card?
                    Do you have the latest MB bios?
                    Good idea trying the other system.
                    What is the other system?

Olliver

------------------

Comment

WELLLLL WELL... Newer isn't always better!
                      My father-in law was being nice about his new PC taking so long, but my wife wasn't happy about me spending all my evenings fighting with it.
                      Also, I wasn't getting anywhere with the MGA graphics powerdesk Rev. 4.31.041 drivers, & Matrox tech support hadn't responded. Anyway, last Friday nite I went thru the drill again:
                      reformatted the C drive, loaded win95, & then the win98 upgrade over it.

SOMETHING OLD:
                      I figured I had nothing to loose, so I installed the 1997.04.21 MGA powerdesk drivers from the Mystique220 CD #/MY22H/CD11I that came with the RRS combo packge. When it came up I setup the properties to a SuperVGA MATROX MONITOR.

EUREKA!! NO HANGS!!
                      Couldn't get it to act up (Still stripped down to just the RRS/Myst/TV cards).

GUESS THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO:
                      Since I was on a roll, I decided to go for broke & install the V1.51 (Intl 1) RRS drivers/PC-VCR Remote (CD #/MUST-RRS/CD151)as well. NO PROBLEMS!!!

After playing with the system for a half-hour or so & not being able to make it hang, One at a time I successfully re-installed the following cards & software:

-PC-DVD Dxr3
                      -SoundBlaster AWE64 (w/driverss from Win98 CD)
                      -BEST DATA 336F Modem (w 1997 vintage drivers from BEST DATA web site).

EVERYTHING(& Everyone)'s HAPPY!!
                      I took the system over to my father-in law's sunday & set it up for him. Guess he'd been really bored around the house. He said "I'd really like to get an on-line dictionary to look up crossword puzzle spellings in". (He can't see well enough to use a regular dictionary). I brought up the Win3.1 MS Bookshelf that PC Depot threw in with the MB for free. Thought he was going to cry...

Left him playing with Bookshelf & playing a new CD of one of the broadway musicals...

I still like to know what it takes to make the current drivers work, but am willing to wait for M* tech support to respond. I need to go back & install Win98 OSR2 & the Y2K patches before new years. Hopefully by then M* tech support will have come up with something....

Hope all this detail helps someone else.

Will post what I learn if M* tech support ever responds...

Verell

Comment

Hi,
                        your problem is quit common. First dissable write allocate in bios. Then install Win98 SE, then install drivers V4.31, note the IRQ your card is on in device manager, if its on 9 you need to re-route it to 10 or 11 if possible using " IRQSET.EXE -I A -O " in your autoexec.bat file "A" for irq 10 and "B" for Irq 11. Also if possible get your matrox running on an IRQ of its own. Next enter device manager, then system devices, then PCI BUS,IRQSTEERING and remove tick out of get IRQ table from Real Mode PCIBIOS 2.1. See how this goes, as it worked for me..

Comment

Working...
                        X