Got my Canopus Raptor from Egghead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Canopus Raptor from Egghead!

I just got my Raptor up and going. I ordered it from Egghead.com less than a week ago. The codec seems so far a lot better than the Rainbow Runners! I can put a blue screen into Ulead and put a white title in it and render it and it looks almost perfect. The RR's codec would put funny noise around the white letters. The cut-list is also working better than ever! The Raptor comes with it's own software when using cut-list and one need not use the navigator. One can control the camcorder with the mouse and sync. it to start recording when starting the preview!I've only noticed a couple of bad frames in a quick 5 minute avi file and no skips here and there like the RR! After defraggin the hd perhaps my corrupted frames will disappear. Rendering is faster and quality great so far.

Yep, <A HREF="http://www.egghead.com/">egghead.com</A> delivered mine too if anyone's keeping tabs. Originally placed it about 10 days ago. Had it been on backorder any longer, I might've been tempted to seriously look into the RT2000... but would hate to use Premiere after investing the time in getting comfortable with MSP 5.2.

I had some concerns about running into IRQ conflicts, but all seems well... A FastTrak66 RAID was installed right before the Raptor went in... now all 5 PCI slots on the ABIT BH6 mobo are filled.. no lockups yet!

Before the RAID, the two original drives were [C:] & [D:] 10.1gig 7.2kRPM UDMA33. [D:] served as the dedicated video capture drive for the Marvel G200. The Raptor's Drive Test utility reports the [D:] drive to read at 9.1megs/sec and write at 7.2megs/sec. I can't say I've had any problems with this for the Marvel. The FastTrak66 [E:] is hosting two IBM 13.5gig 7.2kRPM ATA66 EIDE. The utility reports 33megs/sec read and a 26megs/sec write... WOOOHOOO!!!

Things I'll check into after some rest... [list=1][*]if the G200 will still behave and serve as the analog capture board[*]that MediaStudio Pro works nicely with the Raptor and won't complain if it's asked to convert MJPEG to DV[/list=a]

-

------------------
    Carter
    ------
    Abit BH6 v1.02 ATX motherboard
    Celeron 433mhz
    128mb PC100 SDRAM
    [C:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
    [D:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
    [E:] FastTrak66 RAIDed 2x13.5 7200rpm UDMA66
    [F:] 24x CD-ROM
    [G:] SanDisk USB CompactFlash reader
    Matrox Marvel G200 TV AGP
    Canopus DVRaptor PCI
    SBLive Value PCI
    DLink Ethernet PCI
    v.90 modem PCI
    Win98, MSP 5.2
    Canon L2
    Canon XL1
    Carter
    ------
    [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Congratulations guys.

And it's lucky you're using MediaStudio Pro
      instead of Premiere.

On the Canopus DV Raptor User Forum, they
      have discovered a new bug in Premiere that
      forces re-rendering of all transitions if
      clips are repositioned in the timeline.

With MediaStudio's 'Smart Render' operating
      distinctly... MediaStudio users are not
      experiencing this bug! Yayyyy!

Ditto on the Canopus DV Raptor. Mine is
      trouble free and video editing is actually
      enjoyable again.

I might mention that not only does Ulead
      MediaStudio Pro function better with the
      Raptor... so do the plug-ins available for
      MediaStudio Pro.

a) http://www.vizone.com/product/vizfxm...xmspscreen.htm
      ViZFX by Intergraph Computer Systems

b) http://www.borisae.com/partners/ulead.html
      BorisFX by Artel Software

c) http://www.synergy1.com/
      HollywoodFX by Synergy International

d) http://shell.aros.net/~cayman/
      Power CG by Cayman Graphics

e) http://www.pixelan.com/uleadmsprodetails.html
      Video SpiceRack PRO by Pixelan Software

Comment

I also received my Raptor from Egghead the other day. They must have sent out a big batch.

I will be posting my full comments after a weekend of testing, but so far the performance has exceeded my Marvel-200 in every category. Installation was a snap. I'm very happy with this hardware.

Comment

I ran into a snag with my Sony Digital 8 camcorder. When capturing using hi-8 tapes apparently some small glitches that aren't noticable upon playback are causing some grief when they are converted to the digital format. The corrupted frames I reported on to start this thread are repeatable places on the tape. There was lots of handheld moving shots so probably the tape was jittered when recorded and that produced some small inconsistencies in the recording. The owners manual does state that some "fluctuations" may appear when playing back analog tapes through the fire wire! I wonder what they mean by flucuate? The raptor may be not the thing to use when playing back ananlog tapes throug the Sony!
          I'll keep everyone posted.

Comment

Keith,

As I understand it, you're taking
            analog tapes (which can be played from
            your D8 camcorder) and you're sending
            their content out the Firewire, right?

If so... try an experiment. Find an
            analog 8 camcorder and play the footage
            FIRST through the analog INPUTS of your
            D8 camcorder. Then export the footage via
            Firewire. I'm extremely curious to know
            if there's a difference.

Comment

I know I'm setting myself up for possible abuse from the MiniDV "camp" at this site , but friends of mine with Digital8 camcorders have noticed something rather disconcerting that may apply to Keith's problem.

It appears that the built in TBC (Time Base Corrector) of D8 camcorders may only work with digital footage and NOT with analog footage during playback. The result is that in some situations, the analog footage exhibits a slight shake or shimmer. This is most evident with vertical objects such as fence posts, telephone poles, etc. This may be the "fluctuations" that the Sony user's manual refers to. If this is indeed the case, I'm a little disappointed that Sony makes NO mention that the D8's time base corrector ONLY works with a digital signal.

It is my understanding that the TBC in consumer camcorders and VCRs only functions while the unit is in playback mode. If the problem Keith has is a time base related error, this would lead me to believe that a test such as the one that Jerry is suggesting would do no good (unless the analog playback device had a TBC). This is because the D8 camcorder that the signal would be passing through would not actually be making use of it's TBC. It is still worthwhile trying, although now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not 100% sure that an analog signal can be converted to a digital signal in "real" time when it just passes through a D8 camcorder. Anyway, I think a better test might be to play back analog footage using a D8 camcorder, have the converted analog to digital signal go through the firewire into a second digital camcorder (D8 or DV), and have this second digital camcorder record the footage. Then play back this newly recorded digital signal, which would now be time base corrected, through the firewire into the Raptor. I'd be interested to hear if the previous problems that Keith reported would be eliminated or not.

So Keith... beg, borrow, or steal another digital camcorder and tell us what happens!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 24 October 1999).]

Comment

This is a fascinating issue for me as
                well.

Let me tell you about a related experience.

Before I installed my Raptor, I had the
                Rainbow Runner.

In my attempt to capture a news "package"
                recorded on home VHS tape, I noticed the
                Rainbow Runner began dropping frames at
                the exact same spot... every time.

I then had a local duplication house dub
                the VHS tape over to MiniDV.

Problem solved. I took the MiniDV tape
                and captured via the DV Raptor with
                no troubles.

I think this has to do not only with Time
                Base Correction, but also with frame
                synchronization.

As a former news reporter, I remember
                getting VHS footage and if I attempted
                to dub this VHS footage to 3/4 or Beta
                and then edit it into a larger piece with
                all BetacamSP and then play it over the
                air... even with time base correction...
                the video would break up wildly.

The solution: Take the VHS tape and
                play it through a frame synchronizer.

The resulting footage could be edited into
                my packages without breakup on air.

I really want my original suggestion to
                be attempted... if you can... Keith.

In other words, dub your analog Hi8 to
                VHS and then feed the VHS through the
                analog inputs of the digital camcorder.

My question: Does the D8 camcorder
                record timecode when analog video is
                input in this fashion? My guess is yes.

On the other hand, when you play an
                analog tape from the D8 camcorder... the
                digital signal output via Firewire... to
                the best of my understanding does **not**
                feature timecode.

Until you prove me wrong, Keith, I'm
                betting the analog footage can be edited
                successfully---without frame corruption
                or audio clicks---if you first input
                through the analog inputs of the D8
                camcorder.

Then again... Patrick might be correct.
                A time base corrector might be needed in
                any event. This is a question that I
                find very interesting.

Comment

P.S. I'm told you **cannot** input
                  through the D8 camcorder and get real time
                  output via Firewire.

You can, however, input analog... record
                  to tape... and then output via Firewire.

Comment

I just ran an experiment. I ran the problem hi-8 tape into VHS, back out to digital 8 and back into the computer and no more corrupted frames. If one does run into problems the best way to solve them is to record into the digital format first. I should have kept my Canon ES3000 to play back my hi-8 tapes when I run into problems.

Comment

Only ritual abuse Patrick :-)

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 25 October 1999).]

Comment

Yes Keith, that makes sense alright. Ordinarily I would be happy to hear that a theory of mine had been proven correct, but I certainly have mixed feelings about this. It appears that the re-recording of the analog signal into a digital format has allowed the TBC of the D8 camcorder to correct the time base error that was plaguing the original analog recording. If Sony was really on the ball, they could have designed the D8's TBC circuitry to correct the playback of both digital AND analog recorded tape.

If anyone is in the same position as Keith, I would suggest finding a friend with a D8 or a DV camcorder and do the conversion with the method I explained in my last post. This method would retain the original quality as much as possible. The second best method would be to play back the original analog tapes (with an analog camcorder or VCR) through the S-video connector directly into a D8 or DV camcorder.

I realize that Keith was just doing a test, and it worked well (as a test), but it would be a terrible way to deal with all older analog footage. It's better than nothing, but...

Comment

Hey Doc, you've got to give me some credit for not being afraid to criticize the digital format that I've been promoting somewhat here.

I still think Digital8 is great, it's just that once again Sony has given the masses a little less than they could have.

Comment

Patrick,

I don't think Keith did what you
                            suggested:

>I think a better test might be
                            >to play back analog footage using
                            >a D8 camcorder, have the converted
                            >analog to digital signal go through
                            >the firewire into a second digital >camcorder (D8 or DV), and have this
                            >second digital camcorder record the
                            >footage.

What Keith did was what I suggested,
                            namely, dub the 8 tape over VHS and then
                            he fed the VHS through the analog inputs
                            of his D8 camcorder and recorded
                            digitally onto the tape in the D8
                            camcorder.

He then output that via Firewire.

Comment

P.S. Keith, I've tried to replicate
                              the audio clicking using music