Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon XL1

Hi
    I've been reading some posts on the XL1. My partner and I have had one for about a year now and it's a great camera. I like it for tripod shoots but I find it a bear to hold for long periods off the tripod. I wonder if anyone has tried any of the harnesses or extenders on the market. If you like one let me know what it is and I'll try it.

Thanks
    Chet

I also have an XL1, at the begining it was front heavy until I bought the MA100
    with the dual battery charger holder and that helped balance it off a bit, now the overall weight has almost doubled because of all the addons.

Still, loving every minute of it

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

A few magazine reviews had mentioned that the XL1 was extremely front heavy, but after spending some time with it, I'm not sure I make the same claim. From the start, I used Canon's BP941 battery, it's approximately twice as tall as the standard BP927. This might be offering the counterbalance that prevents me from complaining.

A fully charged BP941 gives me enough power to put the camera on lenthy pauses/standbys and still let me finish recording a 60min miniDV before it dies out. While a belt pack could be bought for the same cost and offer far more running power, the on-camera cells do offer a greater degree of spontanaety under certain circumstances.

------------------
      Carter
      ------
      Abit BH6 v1.02 ATX motherboard
      Celeron 433mhz Slot1
      128mb PC100 SDRAM
      [C:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
      [D:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
      [E:] FastTrak66 RAIDed 2x13.5 7200rpm UDMA66
      [F:] 24x CD-ROM
      [G:] SanDisk USB CompactFlash reader
      Matrox Marvel G200 TV AGP
      Canopus DVRaptor PCI
      SBLive Value PCI
      DLink Ethernet PCI
      v.90 modem PCI
      Win98, MSP 5.2
      Canon L2
      Canon XL1
      Carter
      ------
      [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Thanks Elie and Carter
        I printed your replies so I can look at these alternatives. I think I wouldn't mind the additional weight if I could just get some more behind my back. We occassionally do a wedding or something long like that and being off the tripod is desirable. I'd love to get it on unipod but the mount is to far back. I might make my own plate to try that option. I sure do love the video from the XL1. If I could just keep my arm from getting shorter I'd be in good shape. Thanks again.

Chet

Comment

Working...
        X