Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Time Help

Hi Gang.

I've been using Rainbow Runner/Mystique card with Media Studio Pro for almost two years. I've had super results with my productions. Projects are seen on cable TV weekly. Many projects get used in business settings. I always output to S-VHS or VHS tape. All shooting has been in Hi-8 and S-VHS. Most of the projects are 30 and 60 second commercials or promo's for church. Also several 3 to 4 minute projects, so nothing real long form.

My system is slow. I've been using a P133 with 64-megs. Two 6-gig hard drives, SB-32AWE, and Ditto tape backup. I can afford to render overnight. We shoot now with Sony 3chip camera's onto s-vhs tape with lots of light. We also use an old Toaster for CG on long form stuff.

So now the question?

It's time to upgrade the NLE. How much better is the Marvel G200? Then, how much better will the Marvel G400 be? Lo cost is important. We will upgrade the computer too. Any input for the minimum system to go with?

Am I crazy to look at Marvel? For the money, the RR card has been amazing. We've done things that A/B roles just can't do.

Dave

IF I were in your position I'd ask myself this: would a faster 2D/3D graphics adapter help me at all?

If the system is only for doing your videos, not for gaming or other intensive computing, and cost is a factor I'd seriously consider just updating the rest of the system and standing pat with the RRS. This would keep the costs under control not to mention that those old RRS setups still produce pretty d**n good video.

If, on the other hand, you hanker for more overall graphics performance and an integrated TV tuner than I'd opt for the Marvel G400.

The Marvel G400 has much improved video output over the G200 model, very quick 2D and 3D engines, does better DVD playback thanks to the Ravisent player, comes with a lite version of the Ligos MPEG-1/MPEG-2 Transcoder and is overall a much better product.

U pick.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 27 October 1999).]

Comment

DoctorDave,

If you're going to continue using the system you have and you are not going to upgrade, then i suggest you don't go for a G400 Marvel. As a superior 2D/3D card its ability will not be utilised at all, in fact you would probably get more of a performance boost from a Marvel G200, and since your projects are small, then maybe this a better solution.

Tony
      To understand life we should remove complexity and find simplicity.
      Tony 1999

Comment

I'd agree with DocM on this one. DoctorDave, do you have a budget in mind ?

Wizz, you are dead right. On the other hand, it would be a laugh watching someone trying to insert an AGP card into an old P1 system

Comment

I disagree with the G200 option. The RRS stand-pat is more cost effective and, IMHO, gives better video output quality.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hi Dave,

when I look at your options, I think that if I where in your position I would just buy a nice and fancy (read fast) system where you would just enter you're RRS. I own a Marvel G200 and I have never seen the quality of the RRS or the G400 version, but I doubt that it will have a better quality when seen on the TV screen. After all, the quality of any household TV-set is far below the capabilities of all those cards.

From what you write I get the impression that it is the speed of your system that is a problem. So I would focus on that...

Be sure to keep the soundcard!

(if it is an ISA version) The PCI soundcards have given lots of us a few sleeples nights. I also use an AWE-32, and it works perfect.

That's all I can tell, now it's up to you.

Good luck,

Marijn

Comment

Thanks for all the great information.

While a P133 might seem slow for MSpro, it does a good job. If I upgrade to a PIII with 128-megs of RAM, AND USE the old RR card, just how much faster will my rendering be? I thought that the Zorn chip was the main speed factor for MJPEG in the RR?

I do know that PCI sound cards are trouble. Very happy with my old SB 32AWE.

Would I see a big difference with RAID setup from Medea?

I can afford a new computer ($2,000 approx) but not the 2000RT or 1000DV cards at the same time. So I thought I could stick with Marvel till I can afford the real time stuff.

Any other thoughts?

Dave

Comment

The Marvel G400 has NOTICABLY better quality than the Marvel G200. This has to do with the Maven (TV-Out chip) version among other things.

The RRS is also better at video than the Marvel G200 even though it's 3D is less robust.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hello,

in the previous reply, it is said that the RR-S has a better video than the Marvel G200. Are you sure of that ? I read all the reviews on the Marvel G200 when it was launched, and all these reviews told that there was an enhancement over the Mystique/RR-S combination. But I may have missed something, or read stupid reviews.
                  Can someone point me on goods reviews site dealing with this sort of cards (video input and output at these prices, not professionnal ones) ?

Comment

Working...
                  X