Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about fasttrack66

Hai

I am planning to buy promise fasttrack 66 en one more HD of 27 GB because I have one 27 GB already and one old HD of 8,4 GB.

My question is can I use 2 HD of 27 GB with promise fasttrack for video capture and playback avi files and then use the 8,4 HD indenpendently at normal IDE port in other word seperately from fasttrack 66. AT the end I will have 3 HD 2 with fasttrack and 1 with IDE port for may system.

Is it possibble?

Thanks for any advice and information.

Hi Guci,

I don't know the FT66, but I think the same basic precepts apply as to the FT33.

Yes, you can run the 8.4 directly from the mobos IDE port as well as running the raid array from the FT. In fact you could run all 4 mobo devices and then another 4 from the FT.

I don't know what the current advice from Promise is, but at one time they supported running 2 FT cards as well as the motherboards own, giving you the option of running up to 4 independent devices and a raid array of up to 8 drives.

Doc M will probably have something to say on this, he uses FT all the time and has tried out numerous configurations.

Comment

My system is setup with:

[C:] IBM 10.1g 7200rpm UDMA33 on ABIT BH6's IDE channel 1. This holds Win98 & all programs. On IDE channel 2 of the same motherboard is an identical [D:] drive once dedicated to my G200 captures. A slave on IDE channel 2 is a generic CD-ROM [F:] drive.

My FastTrak66 is on the first PCI slot closest to the AGP slot. Each of its two ATA66 connectors control an IBM 13.5g 7200rpm ATA66 drive giving me a ~26gig [E:] RAID.

So the simple answer to your question is YES.

------------------
      Carter
      ------
      Abit BH6 v1.02 ATX motherboard
      Celeron 433mhz Slot1
      128mb PC100 SDRAM
      [C:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
      [D:] IBM 10.1gig 7200rpm UDMA33
      [E:] FastTrak66 RAIDed 2x13.5 7200rpm UDMA66
      [F:] 24x CD-ROM
      [G:] SanDisk USB CompactFlash reader
      Matrox Marvel G200 TV AGP
      Canopus DVRaptor PCI
      SBLive Value PCI
      DLink Ethernet PCI
      v.90 modem PCI
      Win98, MSP 5.2
      Canon L2
      Canon XL1
      Carter
      ------
      [EditRig] Tyan Tiger100 rev.F, Dual P3 650MHz, 256mb PC100, [C:] 10.2g Seagate, [D:] 10.1g IBM, FastTrack66 RAID, [E:] Dual 30.7g Maxtors, [F:] Plextor 12x10x32x CDRW, Dual 17" Monitors, Matrox G400 32mb AGP, SBLive, Canopus DV Raptor, FourPoint2000, FastEthernet, USB IntelliEye, Windows2000, MSP 6.0, Canon XL-1/GL-1/L2

Comment

Hai

Thanks for your responds to my question!!!!

Comment

I was looking at another interesting forum on disk controllers etc
          http://www.safety-online-internet.co...lers&number=3&

and someone suggested that the Fastrak implepents its RAID in software - is this true. Would a Promise Ultra/66 setup with an NT strip set give similar performance?

James

Comment

Cool system Carter, I have an XL1 also!

P3-500
            128 ECC RAM
            G400 MAX connected to 19" Trinitron and waiting to plug into older 15" when new driver is out!
            SOHO PCI Ethernet
            FastTrak/33 PCI IDE RAID
            [c:] 8.4GB Maxtor partitioned (2GB)
            [d:] 26GB - 2 13.6 Maxtor on first RAID array
            [e:] 55GB - 2 27.5 Maxtor on second array
            [f:] 6GB - the rest of the 8.4
            [g:] 24X SCSI CDROM
            [h:] 16x4x4 Yamaha SCSI CD-RW
            [i:] SCSI ZIP
            Digital Origin Firewire card (PCI)
            Turtle Beach Montego PCI
            Initio UW SCSI PCI