How to save time rendering...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to save time rendering...

Ok, so with AVI_IO I capture a 1 hr clip at CIF (half NTSC) and 30fps. It takes about 30 minutes to edit out the commercials in MSP, and then it takes MSP 12 hours to render the resulting EDL in mpeg1. How can I cut down the rendering time?

I realize that I can encode the MJPEG avi's into mpeg1 before hand, and then edit them in MSP, but MSP is SO slow with mpegs.

Does premiere render faster than MSP? How can I get MSP to render mpeg1 that is VCD compatible according to EZCD4 ?

Thanks in advance!
    RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
    2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
    1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
    Adaptec AAA-133U2
    3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
    Jaz 1GB
    UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
    PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
    Pioneer 6X DVDROM
    G400 Max
    Rainbow Runner-G
    Obisidan X-24
    ViewSonic P815
    SBLive!
    Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
    3COM 3C905B-TX
    Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
    Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
    Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
    1.5M/256k ADSL
    Trusty Ol' Floppy

There's very little you can do when going to MPEG1. MPEG1 encoding is ALWAYS slow.

You might want to go into preferences and set the resample quality down to fair. My guess is that since you're going from 352x240 to 352x240 with no effects, you can safely ignore resampling. You might also check to see that all your field options (the clip, properties, and the final output options) are set to frame-based, since 352x240 by definition does not use fields. I doubt, however, that things will speed up too much for you. It's the MPEG1 part that's slow.

I don't know too much about VCD--I'd like to, but I don't have the software for putting to CD. I DO know that you should be capturing, editing, and putting out at 29.97 fps, since that's the frame rate of NTSC video. Capture with that, use Video Editor's File->Convert->Frame Rate to make sure everything's exactly 29.97 fps BEFORE importing into the editor, edit, then put out an MPEG1 with the same framerate.

Data rate is another important factor, but I don't know about that one. Do a search on this site for "VCD."

Comment

The MPEG encoder that comes with Ulead, is sloooooooow and low quality. Go for an encoder like Xing or DVMPEG. These encoders do also have special settings for VCDs, so you can make VCDs in Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.

If you want even better quality movie files, and shorter rendering times, check out the "new" codecs from Microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia/
      decibel

Comment

Working...
      X