Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Avid Cinema

Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I have been lurking around alot and learned a bunch. Based on the recommendations of key people on this board, I have ordered Ulead MediaStudio 5.0 and downloaded the upgrade. Until it comes, I have been trying to use Avid Cinema to no avail.

Avid starts up fine, I can capture video, but not the audio. I can hear the audio, but the sound indicators do not light up. I ensured that the mute was NOT select and the volume was all the way up. The most annoying thing is that the system crashes every now and again when I move from "Bring in Video" to "Edit Video" or vis versa, as well as saving or opening video clips. I have also tried the Sound Patch, no luck. I have used Avid in the past but that was with Windows 95.

Should I just forget about avid and wait for MS PRO to come in? On the MS PRO website, it says that I should install QuickTime 3.0 but I can only find QuickTime 4.0. Is it OK to install QT 4.0 instead of QT 3.0?

How do you guys suggest I set up MediaStudio to work optimally with the Marvel G200-TV?

My system:

-Pentium II 333
    -Intel motherboard with onboard audio disabled, IDE controller disabled
    -196MB PC100
    -Marvel G200-TV 8MB (should I get the 8MB upgrade?)
    -9.1GB Ultra Wide Differential Quantum Atlas II partitioned in half
    -Adaptec 2940UW with SE to DE hardware converter
    -Plextor 32X
    -Panasonic 7502
    -Umax 6SE flatbed scanner
    -Advansys 940UA
    -Diamond Monster Sound (original not MX300)

-windows 98
    -powerdesk 5.30
    -vid tools 1.51
    -default quicktime installed by Avid Cinema

-there are no conflicts of anykind.
    -18.2GB Atlas III on its way

thanks in advance

Hi
    Media Studio Pro should be fine with Marvel G200
    mine always worked fine and was wonderful to work with
    there is a learning curve with MSP
    but its great once to get to grips with it, very flexible

for your avid problem,
    have you checked that the sound properties, is set to record from the line in??

also i would like to find quicktime 3 to try and fix my MSP prob with my g400 marvel
    if you find it let me know :O)

CMB
    Windows XP Pro + SP1 - Pentium 4 3.1gig - 1024mg DDR 333 2 cas - Thermaltake Xaser Case - Parhelia 128 - 3x Phillips TFT Monitors - Audigy 2 Platinum - 6.1 surround speakers - RTx100 - 5 HD 7200rpm (420gig) - Pioneer A03 - Partridge in a pear tree

Comment

CMB,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I checked that line-in was selected. When I selected the others, I could not hear any sound at all. So I left it on Line-In.

sam

Comment

As for Quicktime 4, I wouldn`t recommend installing it. Avid Cinema won`t work with it installed. It only supports the version that is bundled with it.

As for you sound problems, I imagine they are the same with the Pc-Vcr Remote?
        Can you give your IRQ list and how your cables are plugged into your sound card?

J

[This message has been edited by JAZZ (edited 10 November 1999).]

Comment

Jazz,

Thanks for pitching in. Actually the PC-VCR works fine, I can capture video and audio. Everything looks and sound good. That is what puzzles me. As I mentiond earlier, the current setup worked when I had Win 95 installed but when I upgraded it wouldn't work. I formated my drive, reinstalled win 98 and all the drivers to all of the hardware, ensuring that they were the latest.

I am at school right now, but once I get home, I will certianly post the information you need.

Comment

Stran,

I can't immediately think of a reason for Avid crashing, but as far as the audio problem is concerned :

1) Go to control panel, find the Quicktime icon and double-click, select the sound-in item and make sure its assigned to something (shows as "built-in" on my PC), and then select sound-out and make sure that "wave-out" is selected and set to 44.1Khz

2) When you get to the "bring video in" tab within Cinema, go to the menus at the top and select "Movie/Bring Video In", and then click the "audio in" tab. Make sure that the correct device is selected here, as it is NOT set to the same as PC-VCR (necessarily).

Hope this helps. Let me know if not

Comment

Jazz,
              The IRQ list is:
              00 System Timer
              01 Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
              02 Programmable interrupt controller
              03 Communications Port (COM2)
              04 Communications Port (COM1)
              06 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
              07 Printer Port(LPT1)
              08 System CMOS/real time clock
              09 AdvaSys PCI SCSI Host Adapter
              09 Matrox Marvel G200 AGP - English
              09 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
              10 Adaptec AHA-2940U/AHA-2040UW PCI SCSI Controller
              10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
              11 Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
              11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
              12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
              13 Numeric Data Processor
              15 Diamond Monster Sound
              15 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering

The audio connections are:
              From BOB's Audio Out into Monster Sound's Line-In
              From Monster Sound't Audio Out into Bob's Audio in and Speaker, via a Y-splitter.
              There is a microphone connected to the Monster Sound's Mic-In

The mic seems to work using the Sound Recorder.

This_Idiot,

I tried your suggestions, the QuickTime version is 3.0.2. The Sound in only shows Built-in, and the option is greyed out. Sound Out was set as suggested. Avid Cinema settings are on Line-In. It is the only selection which I can hear any output from. The problem still exists. There is audiable sound, but the meter does not light up and subsequent video capture has no sound.

Something intereting has happened though. The opening sound scheme no longer is audiable? I also forgot to mention that I can hear breif bits of audio as I select, options, or tabs (Edit Video, Bring in Video, etc).

I am expecting MS PRO tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Unfortunately I have to head down to New Bedford Mass for the weekend.

Thanks for your help so far. I like Avid because it was very intuitive and the results were very acceptable to me. Its too bad this program doesn't work.

Sam

Comment

Hi Stran,

Your IRQs are worrysome. You have some sharing with your graphic card on IRQ 9, sharing on IRQ11 and IRQ 5 is free.

Try uninstalling your sound card drivers reinstalling them and trying the AdvaSys card in another pci slot. If you are not using both com ports you can disable one to free up an IRQ.

[This message has been edited by JAZZ (edited 11 November 1999).]

Comment

Jazz,
                  I will change the IRQ of the Monster Sound to IRQ 5 and change the Advansys to IRQ 15 tonight.

sam

[This message has been edited by stran (edited 11 November 1999).]

Comment

just found this forum and i guess i'm not the only one with avid cinema problems.....i had similar problems with sound and recording and believe it or not after checking cables and sound settings etc etc..i shut the program down and rebooted ...sound was there..why????????....maybe someone can help me with the following AVID problem...i am putting together a short video with scanned pictures and video tape segments....my problem=the still pictures "flicker" on my moniter and videotape after recording...the computer image is crystal clear...video is great...i went to matrox web site and found that if i went to CONTROL PANEL-QUICK TIME-VIDEO SETTINGS---hit the "SAFE MODE" option the pictures stopped flickering...problem solved??? nope....now the video is jerky....change the settings again and now the stills shake...i guess i can live with it as long as i don't combine the two but i'm working on a project that requires both...any ideas????

Comment

Well I finally got my MediaStudio Pro 5.0!! From the manual, I can see that this package is all that I will ever need. I uninstalled Avid Cinema, incase there was going to be conflicts, and left QuickTime 3.0.2. Next step will be to install MSPRO 5.0 and down load the 5.2 upgrade.

I am anxious to see if it will capture without problems. Are there special setting I need to do to MSPRO to get it to work correctly with Matrox?

Comment

Stran,

Ulead should work with Matox out of the box, but make sure that you have run Matrox Quick Connect and Hard Disk tests first.

But Avid should have worked first time too

Comment

This_Idiot,

I tried to capture video with Ulead and at first it wouldn't capture audio and I couldn't get the video output to my TV/VCR.

I reread the section on capturing video and followed their suggestions, and seems to have worked! I am going to give it some more tests before I commit to Ulead.

Thanks for all your help.
                          sam

Comment

Working...
                          X