Anyone using NT out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using NT out there?

Anyone out there successfully using an RRG (not a Marvel) under NT for video editing? What Power Desk and Video Tools versions are you using? What service pack for the OS are you using?

I've got a Max/RRG that I've used under 98 for a while, but I switched over to NT4 when I got the 2nd processor and I cannot seem to get the RRG to work under NT (I'm using Service Pack 6 and the latest PD and VT).

All I get is the dark green square, so it looks like the overlay hardware is not doing its job.
    RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
    2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
    1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
    Adaptec AAA-133U2
    3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
    Jaz 1GB
    UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
    PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
    Pioneer 6X DVDROM
    G400 Max
    Rainbow Runner-G
    Obisidan X-24
    ViewSonic P815
    SBLive!
    Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
    3COM 3C905B-TX
    Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
    Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
    Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
    1.5M/256k ADSL
    Trusty Ol' Floppy

Decibel: I think I originally used PD 4.07 with my config, and I seem to remember it working fine. One thing I noticed is that you also have an Abit board. My RRG was nearly unusable on it UNTIL I switched to a 300 watt power supply. (it usually would not be detected upon boot up) It has something to do with poor voltage regulation with Abit boards (search the archives here for info on this).
    As for PAL/NTSC, I'm in the US so I rarely get to play around with PAL...
    I don't seem to have any problems with running memory hungry apps before PC-VCR though.
    One other note, there seems to be some kind of overlay leak, where if you outright quit PC-VCR, the program has difficulty regaining part of the overlay. The trick is to always switch to "Display File" mode before you quit. That seems to properly clear out the overlay memory.

Comment

Actually, I was using a Millennium G200/RRG for a while under NT until I got a Marvel G200 (got a REALLY nice deal on it). I just plugged it in, and the system didn't seem to have any problems handling the change. It seems that the key to getting the drivers working is to make sure that the video card is not sharing IRQs with ANYTHING. Every time I tried to set another device to share my AGP IRQ, I would immediatly get the dark green square problem. Make SURE that nothing that uses an IRQ (meaning anything but the RRG) is in the PCI slot below the AGP card. That slot will ALWAYS be assigned the same IRQ as the AGP slot's.
      I've also noticed that if I have anything open that is dealing with any Matrox MJPEG files (eg: virtualdub) and try to start PC-VCR the TV screen is dark green if I try running it at anything beyond 1/2 size. The trick is to start PC-VCR BEFORE you do anything else involving MJPEG, or to quit out of anything using MJPEG before starting PC-VCR. It is some overlay problem (though I think it's primarily software since I don't get these problems under '98) The current NT video tools do work mostly, but it's a pain to get to know all of their quirks (I'm only listing a handful of them)

My config:
      Abit BP6 with 2 Celeron 366s (overclocked to 515 mhz each)
      Matrox Marvel G200-TV AGP (8MB)
      Tekram 390F Ultra-Wide SCSI
      Creative Labs DXR2 Encore DVD Decoder
      Intel 10/100 PCI NIC
      SB 64 Value ISA
      Realtek 10bt ISA NIC

Windows NT 4.0 SP 5
      Powerdesk Version 4.13 for NT
      Video Tools 1.23 beta 2 for NT (I hope this gets updated sometime)

Comment

Have you tried PD v4.07 & VT v1.23 beta2?

I also had the same problem, and my RRG in NT is still a bit unstable. A fresh reboot of the system helps, but the drivers find it hard to detect correct PAL / NTSC standard. It always autodetects to NTSC, even if I try manually to set it to PAL. And when I start some other memory hungry applications (such as Word, Visual Studio etc.) before running PC-VCR, then the drivers can't even detect the TV tuner! Boot is only the solution to this problem.

My 98SE has always worked perfectly, and still do (I'm using both 98 & NT).

My config: Abit BP6, 2xCeleron366@550, 256 MB RAM, G200+RRG, Voodoo2, 2x22GB Ibm HD, AWE64 Gold ISA, 10/100Mbit Network Card

PowerDesk v4.07, VideoTools v1.23 Beta2

------------------
        decibel
        decibel

Comment

I would like to use PD 4.07, but it does not state that it supports the G400, and everytime I install it, I get "mgactrl.dll initialization failed" and I get onyl 640x480x16 color...

I guess I should rephrase my topic a little and say, "Anyone out there successfully using a G400 (regular or max, no marvel) and RRG under NT?"

I would really like to be able to do this stuff under NT!!!!
          RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
          2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
          1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
          Adaptec AAA-133U2
          3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
          Jaz 1GB
          UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
          PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
          Pioneer 6X DVDROM
          G400 Max
          Rainbow Runner-G
          Obisidan X-24
          ViewSonic P815
          SBLive!
          Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
          3COM 3C905B-TX
          Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
          Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
          Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
          1.5M/256k ADSL
          Trusty Ol' Floppy

Comment

Drivers aren't out for G400 NT video tools - think Haig said previously that they were in the works.

------------------
            Cheers,

Peter.
            GSTQ.
            Cheers,

Peter.
            GSTQ.

Comment

Working...
            X