Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help.........Pleassseeee

Can anyone please help me?
    I am running (sometimes) a G400Max/RRG, SB-Live and an AbitBX6 mainboard and it crashes all the time. The computer just turns of for no apparent reason at all. The monitor shuts down and the computer shuts down. This is driving me nuts I can't get any video work done that I need for collage.
    If it is the really rare combination of these components, can any one recommend a motherboard that can handle the other stuff?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Damien.............
    System
    PII 233
    AbitBX6 Motherboard
    192 MbRam
    SB-Live Value
    G4ooMax/RRG (latest drivers)
    IBM 6,4GB/HD
    Sony CDR
    Pioneer DVD

Damien

If you have just one hard disk for Windows, its swap file and for recording your video files, then you're likely to be in DEEP trouble. At the very least, add a second HDD as Master on the second IDE port for your video. Make sure the drives are configured as DMA and that you confure the vcache (you can use a package like cacheman). Also make sure your Live! has the DOS games features disabled and that you have no IRQ conflicts, especially between your graphics, video and sound. There is an 85% chance that doing these things will sort you out.

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

[This message has been edited by Brian Ellis (edited 07 December 1999).]
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hi Damien.

A while ago, one of the other guys on here worked out that there was a seating problem with some G400/Motherboard/Case combinations.
      It seems that when you screw the tab on the video card down, it can occaisionally pull the rear part of the card slightly out of the AGP port.
      A couple of solutions were to put a small washer under the tab of the videocard so it doesn't get pushed down as far when screwed in, or bend the plate of the videocard slightly forwards before installing it.
      Sorry if that's a bit vague, I think it was Maggi who posted this originally with some nifty diagrams.
      I can't say if this will definately work for you, but it seemed to sort out a wealth of problems.

Trav

Comment

Hi Damien,

have you tried to turn off all powermanagement?

Can you tell when the problems started, because I assume that you had the MOBO when you bought the G400. There were no problems when you were using an other videocard?

The problems you have can also be due to bad memory. I had this once. Since you probably use more than one DIMM, you may want to pull out one by one, and see if makes any difference.

Good luck,

Marijn

Comment

I posted these awhile ago in a Thread concerning ABIT boards.

Here's what I think is happening with some cases/mother boards.

Paul

------------------
          P3-616(112x5.5), ABIT BE6, 256MB PC100, MILL G400 MAX-32MB on BNC, Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 on D-sub, IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66, 21"Trinitron, SCSI CDR/RW, SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro(USB Ext),Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi Damien,

Could you list your IRQ assignments and what slots your cards are in. That will give us a place to start.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Sorry Paul,

Couldn't quite remember who had posted that info.

Cheers.

Trav

Comment

Hey, no problem Trav. Looks like we lost Damien though

Paul

Comment

Working...
                X