QuickTime codec advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuickTime codec advice

Yeah-- I know what you're thinking-- "What idiot would use QuickTime for anything?"

ME!!!

That out of the way, who's experimented with the QuickTime codecs? Can you recommend any good ones for web use?

I did some QT's a while back, using what's available inside of MediaStudio Pro for Sorenson style Quicktime (version 3). The clips came out quite nice, and I was pleased to have been able to make an 853x480 'wide screen' type of clip, also.

Overall, though, I do have an aversion to making any kind of highly compressed video projects, simply because they're highly compressed. To my eye, this stuff always looks cheezy, when compared to anything I do for export back out to a TV. But, that is the nature of the whole computer based streaming video game at this stage... the more you compress the video, the worse it looks.

Comment

Yeah, I sometimes cringe at the effects, but it's sometimes cool to no longer be able to see, say, the edges of a chroma key.

Anyways, the question was, which QuickTime codec yields the best results under high compression? So far, the Sorenson codec at about 25-30% looks pretty good (160x120), but that's still a little high for most web users. Who can recommend a pick?

(P.S. From what I've seen, I think QT works better on the Web than Windows Media or RealVideo. That's not the reason I'm starting to use it, but it may be a good reason for continuing to...)

Comment

Working...
      X