Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MPEG-2 Encoding, questions from a newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPEG-2 Encoding, questions from a newbie.

I have finished my movie and i want to make a
    simple cd (no vcd). I have tried the Xing Mpeg encoder but i think the quality is poor.
    Is MPEG-2 = DVD quality? Is the "ligos lsx encoder" the best mpeg-2 software? If so, whats the diffrens between ligos and the freeware "avi2mpg2" software? wich i have not tried yet, were can it be downloaded?
    I captured my clips at 352x288 @25fps (lowest compression) and i dont want "any" quality lose.
    /palle
    p200 mmx, 96mb edo, mystiq 220 + Rainbow Runner Studio.

Xings data rate choices are a bit limited compared to the configurability of the Ligos encoders. Perhaps the best results could be had by using Xings "Match Source" option with your 352x288 captures.

As for Ligos, I've turned into a fan of that product since GoMotion and the 3.0 version of their encoder came to market.

Ligos products are very configurable and can handle quite high bitrates. GoMotion can do MPEG/MPEG-2 data rates up to 14.6 Mbits/sec. The Ligos LSX 3.0 full encoder also supports variable bitrates (VBR) which can give you high quality at reduced average bitrates. Not too shabby for a consumer encoder.

As for "DVD quality", I'm assuming you mean DVD Video as in the videodisks you buy at the store? That is a specific set of standards:

Resolution: 720x480 NTSC, 720x576 PAL

Data rates: MP@ML MPEG-2 video has maximum data rate of 15 Mbits/sec. DVD Video uses MP@ML MPEG-2, but the maximum data rate for this purpose is defined at 9.8 Mbits/sec.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by DrMordrid (edited 23 January 2000).]

Comment

If you are working with 352x288 resolution. You dont need to do DVD encodings. MPEG-2 DVD is good for interlaced video. I think it is better that you encode your files to MPEG-1. Using a high bitrate. You could do MPEG-2 DVD compliant files in 352x288. But they will not look better, only being more difficult to play. bbMPEG is better than Ligos LSX for DVD encodings.

Comment

Working...
      X