Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Region Change for HW/DVD Question

Hello Gods of Video!

I spend more time over in GH and MH, just cause you guys intimidate me. But I do own a Marvel G-200 which SOME DAY I do intend to use for some actual video editing. I picked up on a reply over in MH and wanted to verify what I read.

MY QUESTION

Is the only reason a 5.x driver is not recommended for us poor orphans who own a HW/DVD daughter card the region change issue?

I'd like to know of others' experiences with the HW/DVD and 5.x drivers.

PLEASE NO WHINING!!!! I know all about the various unfixed bugs and difficulties with this poor orphan--been there, done that, and got it working, thank you. Just wishing I could go to newer video tools before I come over here and start asking stupid questions.

Only calmly worded responses please, or I'll delete the damn thread. (Although it seems you guys over here do have more manners in general than gamers. )

------------------
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

I have been using PD5.25/VT151 with standard CD issued software with my MillG200, RRG, DVDModule, TVOutModule etc. for months (since 5.25 came out).
    All is working magnificently, especially via SVideo connector to 100Hz TV (Loewe Ergo). Install of DVD SW and drivers was not a problem.
    Using TweakSD0.5 and DVDGenie3.28 Windows98SE region change, I have altered regions now over 50 times, and still sweet.

I have to get my bit in, though, after taking the time.......support for this hardware is substandard, and M will cease to be my 'preferred' OEM/upgrade vidcard for customers.
    "It's purely for evaluation..."

Comment

Thanks for the response Cods. Especially the tone. I understand your frustration and appreciate the solid info.

Is the region change within Windoze strictly an SE issue? I'm still on the OEM 98.
      Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
      CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
      Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

From my testing, yes, only 98SE seems to have the region lock (5 changes) - but DVDGenie did the job.
        1st release 98 didn't give me these probs - I only used TweakSD back then.
        It's apparently very similar with Win2000 (as 98SE) with a registry region lock (with only 1 change!) ..... some key like 'jjl' in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft has to be deleted.
        "It's purely for evaluation..."

Comment

Working...
        X