• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1GHz Processors by INTEL: This Year!

http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/H...l_chip_gig.htm

Yawn.

CPU speed is not our bottle neck.

Moving data from disk through RAM to the CPU and back is.

A 400MHz CPU with 400MHz memory bus would do much more for my computing than a 2GHz CPU.

--wally.

Comment

True... but if you read the full
      article... note that Athlon processors
      will also get up to 1GHz and they do
      work on mobos that support faster
      bus speeds. So things are improving.

Comment

I have to say yes CPU's these day are the bottle neck in most cases.
        Think 3D Max, Quake 3, NLEditing when it comes to rendering etc.
        So the CPU still plays a big role aside from Bus speeds/ram etc.

but what upsets me the most is that PC's have progressed non stop at a tremendous rate, we've seen CPU go from 1.25mhz to 1ghz bus speeds from ISA to VLB to PCI to AGP 2x and now 4x.
        I can go on but if you take a look at your PC the only primitive thing left that sat there since 1993 is that damn 1.44 floppy drive
        Hello industry, like it's time to get away from this standard and I'm not taking Zip drivers and LS-120 stuff, I want a cheap alterantive that every PC will ship with one, minimum 500 mb at 1.5 mbps or more.

Sheeesh

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

a flop-e drive? Huh?

I don't even have one. Someone needs a file? Email (over a 100mbit network, to our cable modem hooked up to a router). Need to store something somewhere where I can access it? I-drive on the inet or whatever they call it. It's all about networks ! that carrying around a fragile floppy is a thing of the past! But if you must. get an 8x speed burner. Burn 640mb in less than 10minutes. Yowsah!

coolfish.

Comment

Gotta agree with Elie here.

On the other hand Coolfish, how do you load your machine the first time you ever boot it?

You know, when you've just built it and the HDs are virgins, the system (good ole DOS) won't recognise the CD-ROM until the drivers have been loaded.

The only other use I've got for the damned things is when I want to print out a letter. The family printer is downstairs on my wife's PC I'd add it into the network but I'd have to take up all the floorboards upstairs and drill through 3 brisk walls to cable it up. (Elie, you see now why I was asking about wireless NICs ?)

Comment

CD-Boot... works fine, although I still have a floppy drive, the last time I used it was to flash my BIOS... If I need to do a fresh install, just drop in the 98 cd.

John

Comment

How DO you make a bootable CD ROM i have Nero Burning will that do the trick,. It is something that i have thought about doing but not got around to it. It would make like easier at times.

Any takers out there

Martin

Comment

Well the first thing that you need is a motherboard that will recognise a CDRom as a bootable device (which isn't all of them by a long way).

Then (I presume) you will need appropriate software to write a boot sector and system files to the CD itself.

Comment

I don't know about Nero, but to make a bootable
                    CD with Adaptec CD Creator Deluxe, you need a bootable
                    floppy. It reads that floppy into a couple of
                    temp files and puts them on the CD. So there you
                    are, still need that floppy drive.

I've been noticing all my old floppies dying like
                    flies, one after another developing bad sectors. Luckily
                    as soon as I got my CD burner I archived every one of
                    my two hundred or so to a CD. Who wants DOS 3.3?

Comment

Working...
                    X