Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

setting up 2 Win98 systems on one drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up 2 Win98 systems on one drive?

I'm planning to format and rebuild my Win98 system from scratch, mainly to optimize for Marvel G200 video/audio editing.

I am wondering if it is possible or recommended to set up 2 Windows 98 partitions on one drive? And does anyone have any tips for doing this (or links)?

My proposed 2 partition setup would be:

1) A 98lite (or similar) stripped Windows98 system, with video, audio and image editing programs only. No internet, antivirus, office, cdr, etc...

2) An Internet, Word Processing, Web Design, and (occassional)game system.

Another question: for the lean video editing system, should I Use 98SE or the original 98?

I may have the option to put the two systems on 2 drives, but I want to find out if it is possible to do it on one.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

------------------
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),ABit BH6, 128mb ram, Win98, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, IBM 8.4gb UDMA Deskstar system drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 2x 9gb Seagate Barracuda UWSCSI video drives, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

I have a feeling that System Commander allows you to do this, but I could be wrong?

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 11 February 2000).]

Comment

Haven't tried anything like this in a long time. I'd try using PartionMagic, and hiding the other partion before setup.. if that doesn't work, how I do it is to use Symmantec's Ghost, make an immage of my system, burn to cds, then I have no worrys at all.

John

Comment

Why not make an image using the like of PowerQuest Drive Image of `PC_Setup_1` save that to CD Rom or another partition. Then make another image of `PC_setup_2`.
        I used an Amiga years ago and found the O/S easier to re-install with all my other programs. When Drive Image came along i thought brilliant. I have several Image saved on CD ROM. The most basco called `win98` which is the most basic set. Then `NLE` for my video stuff with capture card settings and software ie. MSP etc. Lastlt i have `full` that has all the crap install ie. Word, Exel etc.

Do know if this helps, just a thought.

Martin

Comment

What I have done before with Windows 95B was to install Windows in C. I then made a copy of msdos.sys/config.sys/autoexec.bat and changed the lines in the copy of msdos.sys
          [Paths]
          WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
          WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
          HostWinBootDrv=C

to

[Paths]
          WinDir=D:\WINDOWS
          WinBootDir=D:\WINDOWS
          HostWinBootDrv=D

config.sys and autoexec.bat can be blank.

I then wrote a little batch file to switch between two sets of msdos.sys/config.sys/autoexec.bat
          I installed Windows on drive D with the alternative boot files.

I then created a shortcut on each desktop to switch between versions of OS.

Salacious

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will try out Partition Magic and their PQBoot manager, to see how that works.

Any opinions on Winodws98SE vs Windows98 for the editing system?
            Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

PQBOOT use to be limited to FAT16 partitions. That is you could only install your OS on FAT16 partition and switch between different FAT16 partitions. This is a pain down to the inefficiences of FAT16 i.e. cluster size and maximum partition size.

Salacious

Comment

Hi CJYO~,

I use Powerquest Partition Magic and Boot Magic to do exactly what you want to do and it works great. I have two different Windows 98 partitions and a Windows NT partition on one drive. When I first boot up my system, I get the Boot Magic screen which lets me chose which partition to boot from.

I use FAT32 for my Windows 98 partitions and FAT 16 for my NT partition. There is no restriction on using FAT32 when you use this set up.

I use Windows 98 SE with my Matrox Marvel G-200 for video capture/editing/playback and it works fine. I used Windows 98 before and did not have any troubles with that either. If you already have SE, you should probably use it. On the other hand, if you don't already have SE, you don't need to run and and buy it just for video editing.

Rick
                http://www.Hogans-Systems.com

Comment

Working...
                X